Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Diving volcanos in Whakatane

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 9 February 2009 | Views [756] | Comments [1]

I had previously booked a scuba dive to White Island, an active volcano 48 kilometres off the shores of Whakatane.  Apparently one of the world´s best dive sites. 

Needless to say, the long ride on the boat was a nightmare…..the usual seasickness had set in….good job I skipped breakfast.  Mind you, there was another guy a lot worse than me, which made me feel less of a wimp.

Finally got the drop off point adjacent to the volcano.  The current was really strong and it was a struggle to battle with the waves and current as I tried to swim from the back of the boat to the anchor line.  The current was pretty strong below too, and it was hard to move under the water.  However, it was an amazing dive with plenty of marine life to see.

The second dive, further around the volcano was much better, and far less current.

The journey back was as bad as on the way there.  It didn´t help matters when the engines on the boat failed and we had to chug back at a snail´s pace.  I hid in the hull and just lay there until the torture was over.  Apart from surfacing when we spotted a pod of dolphins, again, a magical site as they jumped in front of the boat. 

The coastguard had to help the boat back into the harbour as the sea was so rough…..the swell was about 6foot high.  Once on terra ferma I was greeted by Matt and Emma…a really lovely couple from the hostel…they were in the area and had heard a boat had run into difficulties and knowing that I was on it, they waited for me to return and give me a lift back in their camper…it was a really nice gesture after my ordeal.

Comments

1

Oh, I read this post with such great empathy... I LOVE Scuba diving, but can hardly handle even the shortest boat ride, let alone 48kms!
So glad the marine life made it all worth it.

Christy
Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Mar 2, 2009 12:33 PM

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.