Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Kiakora

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 31 January 2009 | Views [702]

Dusky Dolphins at Kiakoura

Dusky Dolphins at Kiakoura

I´d booked an excusion to swim with the dolphins at 8:30 this morning.  Given the fact that I suffer from sea sickness, and had a late night the boat trip was awful.  The boat trip (endurance) was about an hour before we sighted a huge pod of Dusky dolphins. There were hundreds.  It was amazing!  A really beautiful sight.  But to swim with them so close was even more amazing.  They were everywhere and only a few feet away. Some just swam past and some circled around to say hello. I tried to take a few pictures with an underwater camera but I reckon the dolphins were so close the pictures won´t come out.

Before I knew it was time to get back in the boat and head back.....it was all over too soon.  On the way back we followed the pod for a while as they jumped from the water for air and some even did back flips.   The boat tour itself was very informative and one point of note is that Dolphins are very promiscuous, as one reseacher discovered that one female dolphin mated with three different males in 90 seconds.  That´s some pretty hardcore dolphin action I thought to myself!!!

In the afternoon, I took a boat to go whaling watching.  Still not feeling too great I ´d fallen asleep on the boat and had to be woken up once the skipper had spotted a whale.  It was a huge sperm whale, actually it was genormous.  It was incredible to see as it just lay there just on the surfure of the water, before it slowly started to decend giving a large kick of it´s tail as it did so.  If I´m being honest I prefered the dolphins,

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.