Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Owaka to Dunedin on the Southern Scenic Route….still

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 23 January 2009 | Views [639]

All aboard!!

All aboard!!

Travelled the final part of the Southern Scenic Route to Dunedin today and still in the company of Sebastian and Andy.  Stopped off at Nugget Point, a favourite spot for sea lions and yellow-eyed penguins to nest.  I haven’t seen any penguins yet and too be honest, I’m not that bothered anymore.

Arrived in Dunedin, where I met up with Dave Peck,  Andy’s brother. (for those who don’t know, Andy is a friend from my 6th Form days and my old flat mate in “Hove...Actually”)

Killed a few hours in the afternoon looking around the Peninsula and visited the Albatross colony...don’t worry I haven’t turned into a twitcher!, then later Sandfly Beach. (Beautiful)  First impressions of Dunedin is that it has a very local and somewhat cultural feel.  Geographically it’s nestled in very beautiful surroundings, the peninsular, the beaches and the bay are stunning and the backdrop of hills that surround the city is beautiful.  The town has a strong Scottish presence from the early settlement....even saw thistles on the headland!!!

Met up with Rachel (Dave’s wife), Seb and Andy later for dinner and some beers in the local drinking area... ‘The Octogan’.  Needless to say it was a good introduction to Dunedin culture. 

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.