Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Rafting and Bungee.....Queenstown, New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 17 January 2009 | Views [680]

Jonathan  (my roomy) had booked white water rafting this morning, and I had decided that I’d join him.  However, during the night the heavy rain had made the river we were hoping to do, too high and the flow too fast.  We therefore decided to do another river, which did not have as bad rapids as the one we had booked.

To be honest....it was ok...a few rapids, but didn’t really do much for me.  So I think I’ll wait until I get to Pucon in Chile for some more dangerous white water.  That said, it was a good introduction to Rafting... I still enjoyed it....but just not long enough.

So in afternoon I thought I would do a bungee jump....it’s my first one...so may as well go for the biggest in NZ and 3rd biggest in the world (I think)  The jump station is suspended between two hills, with several thick steel cables. To get out to it, you have to take a short trip in a small cable car. From here you leap the massive 134 metres down towards the Nevis River below.

I was a bit nervous to begin with, but this was made even worse by the glass floor in the jump station and being able see people fall below.  Gulp!

So now it’s my turn....I was hooked up to the bungee rope and waddled to the edge....OH MY GOD!!!!! It’s a f*****g long way down.  The Crew counted down...3..I need to take a pee now! .....2....my legs are shaking, then 1.....no turning back now.....BUNGEE!  That was it, I was throwing myself off the platform.  Falling....falling.....I’m bloody falling!...and fast!!!!  It was absolutely incredible.  The biggest adrenaline rush I think I’ve ever had.   8 seconds of free falling towards the bottom of the ravine.  I don’t how else to express the emotions/sensations that rushed through my head...all I can say is “I did it” and it was amazing...and will do it again.

Later in the afternoon, went to the top of one of the hills overlooking the town.  It was a beautiful view looking over the lake and mountains.  Good photo opportunities here.

Went out with a few of the people from the hostel.  Not on antibiotics now.  Yay!  So now off the wagon I was able to sample the local bars and clubs with a few beverages

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.