Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Siem Reap – Templed Out

CAMBODIA | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [580]

We’d hired a driver and his Tuk-Tuk to take us to see the Temples.  I bought a three day ticket  (which I later regretted after getting a bad case of Templeitis)  Our first temple was Bayon....built around 1200ac.  For me, this was probably one of the most interesting of the temples here.  The Bayon's most distinctive feature is the multitude of massive stone faces on the many towers which jut out from the upper terrace and cluster around its central peak.

We later went to Ta Prohm, which had been used for the filming of Tomb Raider.  The temple has been left to the jungle resulting in huge trees growing out of the stone walls and structures.  The roots of the trees have also grown over the walls like tentacles strangling the stonework.  The fact that there has been no restoration work here makes this place even interesting, and exploring the crumbling tiny corridors even more fun.

Other Temples visited include...Ta Som (Another temple left to the jungle), Eastern Mebon, and Phnom Bakheng.  At Phnom Bakheng we ascended the track to the top to see the sunset.  We were under the impression that the sun would set over/behind Angkor Wat (the largest of the temples), but were disappointed when it didn’t, and that you couldn’t even see the Temple.  After a pathetic sunset (a cloud came over and blocked it) we headed down to meet our driver, Mr Lee.

Memorable Points:  Ta Prohm and Bayon Temple, Overated sunset viewpoint

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.