Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Vientaine

LAOS | Friday, 21 November 2008 | Views [681]

Tim, Ben and myself hired some bikes today in order to get our Cambodian visas from the embassy on the outskirts of town.  Made good use of our transport and explored the area via the Mekong river banks.
Stopped at few random places along the way before stopping for lunch at a back street restaurant....at least I think so.  The menu wasn't extensive as they only had rice and fried eggs!
Made acquaintances with some locals who challenged us to a game of Boules.  Not having no plans we accepted the challenge and followed them to where they play Boules.  We followed them for ages through what I can only describe as a township.  I was feeling somewhat uncomfortable at this point as I didn't know what their plan was, and whether their intentions were honourable.......they weren't.  They later introduced Tim and I to some 'local girls' from the village.  Given the fact we were miles from the town, drinking Beerlao with some drunk local guys and chatting to some local prostitutes, I wasn't feeling too comfortable. Needless to say we thanked them for their efforts and made a quick exit.
Oh yes....I did beat them at Boules.  The hookers were rubbish!
Later picked up my visa before meeting up with the others for cocktails.
Memorable Points: Chilling out in a monastery alongside the Mekong enjoying a drink.  Having a fantastic eat as much as you like raclette style buffet for two pounds fifty.  Playing boules with some local pimps and hookers

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.