Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

The Great Wall - Huangyaguan to a Mountain Village

CHINA | Sunday, 19 October 2008 | Views [518] | Comments [1]

A challenging days walking. Firstly, headed up on a renovated section of the wall, before encountering ‘Heaven’s Ladder”, a steep climb over precarious steps up the cliff face.

A fantastic view from the top, once we head caught our breath we continued on the path up “undulating” hills and through a forest to the reach the top of the ridge. Here we joined the old wall, and followed it along the contours of the mountains will we made our decent into the valley ball.

The group resided that night in a local farmhouse, to which the tour guide had told us would be a real cultural experience. It was! Very basic accommodation, no heating and the temperature had dropped to nearly freezing, however, it didn’t matter as we had a fire and several beers later I didn’t even notice.


Memorable Points:– Fantastic Views. Open fire at the farmhouse. Little Chinese woman with bound feet (weird!), views. Local butcher selling his wares.

Comments

1

Well done ! You are so brave and adventurous! These are great pictures of the Great Wall! Which reminds me... I should go through my India pictures and post some. Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together.

I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it! In return, I also found a great blog of Great Wall travel tips, I'd love to share it here with you and for future travelers. http://www.wildgreatwall.com/which-part-of-the-great-wall-is-the-best-to-visit/

  andy Jul 2, 2013 7:34 PM

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.