Existing Member?

Live your dreams

My Experience of Malaria

GHANA | Friday, 30 August 2013 | Views [462]

 
 

30th August, 2013.  7:23AM

Cape Coast
 
Last weekend on the Friday I travelled to Kumasi with my host aunty. It was a five hour bus drive and so i began to feel feverish on the bus but I just disregarded it and thought I was just hot from spending so much time on the bus. Later that night when we arrived at her partners family house all I wanted to do was sleep, i had begun to feel sick in my stomach and developed a headache. So I took dinnerand then fell asleep straight after. During the night I felt extremely hot and felt dizzy when I stood. I was so hot that my host aunty Angela had to pull her had away after holding my head for 3 seconds. I told her she could fry an egg on my face if she wanted.
It was then that they said I had malaria.
I feel so very lucky tohave travelled to Kumasi because Angela's partners dad is a medical doctor so I had treatment the very next morning. I was jabbed in the bum just after I took my breakfast, which i only had one spoonfull of because i had lost my appetite. The doctor also gave me some dissolvable tablets that I took for 4 days after. That day I went to church with the family from 10 till 3 (church usually goes from 9 till 1) and by the end of it I was falling asleep on Angelas shoulder because the medicine had kicked in. My muscles also felt very weak that it was difficult to walk without feeling dizzy, tired or wanting to throw up.
As soon as I got home I had lunch and fell asleep, I slept for 16 hours. And in the morning I felt almost perfectly normal, it was such a nice feeling to not feel dizzy or nauteous when i stood. I was so appreciative of my bodys ability to fight back.The doctor gave meanother injection the next morning because he said he wanted to make sure it was all out of my system, especially because i was travelling back home the next morning.
 
I think I was so so lucky to have mine treated straight away because millions die each year from malaria, and I know that the symptoms get worse as time goes by.

 

Tags: malaria

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.