Existing Member?

Live your dreams

Ghana - leftovers

GHANA | Tuesday, 3 September 2013 | Views [541]

*I had been leaving notes in my phone, these are some leftovers that I forgot to post while I was away.

The kids are so sweet, I had a lovely day today. It was Jennys last day so we had some toffee and played a bit of baseball. Emmanuela left today to go home, I didnt know until her brother came asking for her. I went into her room and asked if id ever see her again and she said probably not. She told me shed miss me and so my eyes began to water, it all hit me at once that id be leaving soon. Im really going to miss the kids. So I'm coming in tomorrow and I might go to church with them the following day, and next week I promised elizabeth that I would sleep. Tonight I helped them with dinner, I stirred the banku. I feel really close with all the girls now, time really has a huge influence on friendships.

This morning on my way to work one of the men who work at the school showed me his farm, it was very nice. He gave me some carrots and cucumber which was really kind of him. I loved walked through the fields, it's such a raw landscape.

Georgia and elizabeth were sad today because they miss their families. I don't know which is worse, bring abandoned at birth or during your life. It's hard because it might have to do with money but elizabeth hasn't seen her family for many years. And she gets to watch all her other friends go and return from visiting their families

 

**In hindsight it feels so weird to think about children of that age having thoughts of abandonment from their own fathers, I could never imagine my own parents letting me go – even if they couldn’t afford me. It’s near impossible getting my mum to say yes to any of my trips, she never wants me to leave her sight, so to imagine being unwanted or never called back... and on top to imagine watching other kids being picked up by their parents, it’s like the coal inside of you loses its flame.

 

***This wasn’t Malaria but rather a blood infection – the glories of being in a third world country, though with saying this, I can hardly remember being sick on my journey. It’s only the good memories that you bring home with you, the rest missed the plane home.

Malaria: Take two Yesterday I felt the symptoms again, dizziness, fever, headache, loss of appetite, weak muscles, diarrohea. I slept all day and all I ate was a small bowl of oats. Today I feel lots better, not as weak or dizzy, but I had a sore throat. I'm currently at the DIS clinic with Eric, one of the staff members from Projects Abroad. We are just waiting for my blood and urine results. I think I will get better fast, I just need to rest lots. But its hard because the festival is on this week so I know I will want to stay up dancing all night. I will take care of my body though.

 

Tags: ghana

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.