Existing Member?

My Dumb Idea

I bet you are expecting a Christmas theme...well Bah HumBug!

CHINA | Sunday, 20 December 2009 | Views [572] | Comments [7]

Christmas is a happy time of year, when friends and families gather around a tree and pass out gifts and love to each other. That is Christmas in every other country except for China. Do you know how hard it is to shop for people who you have only known for 3-months. Not only that after you find out what to get them, then you actually have to find them, in China. It is nigh impossible. Then to make matters worse they expect you to be able to tell them what you want for Christmas. Oh and it all has to be under the 25 RMB limit, that is less than 5 USD. I might as well try and run like 5 miles, up hill, with Adam Holley on my back. I spent like 2 hours walking the streets of China trying to figure out what to get for people. I literally walked into every shop in Shiyan, and then walked out of everyone empty-handed. I was finally able to secure gifts for 9 out of 10 people on my list, and I am still in the process of trying to find a gift for the last person. I didn't even know that Christmas is like 5 days, till somebody pointed it out to me today. What a pain.

Earlier this week I experienced what it is like to be a Chinese man for the first time. On Thursday night two of my students, both girls, came over to my house and made me dinner. So I sat in my front room, with my feet up on the coffee table watching TV, while two ladies slaved away in my kitchen making me a delicious homemade dinner. Apparently I own a rice cooker, it has been sitting in my kitchen for the last 3 months. Until the girls came over to make me dinner I had never seen it nor used it. So they cooked me up some rice and then 3 different dishes to go on top of the rice, egg and tomato, tofu (dofu is the Chinese name) and peppers, and cabbage with a butter sauce. It was quite delicious and when dinner was over I went back to my seat and the girls cleaned up. As Mel Brooks would say, "It's good to be the King."

I have some really funny stories about KTV and a place called Congress (not the United States Legislative branch), however I am trying to write a final exam right now and I was just wasting time writing a story. I will be back later this week with a bigger badder Christmas edition.

Comments

1

just like a man to wait until the last minute to buy presents; oh did i stereotype, oh well if the shoe fits wear it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

  gail Dec 21, 2009 12:17 PM

2

Man...I need to take a trip to Xi'an. I will be in Shanghai on Jauary 2nd. Can't wait!

  d-moss Dec 22, 2009 7:22 AM

3

Merry Christmas JP! We miss you!!

  your Bolling family Dec 24, 2009 4:22 AM

4

Merry Christmas JP!!

  Jim Retter Dec 25, 2009 5:41 PM

5

Merry Christmas!! Sorry I could not to talk to you longer yesterday! Miss you!

  Amanda Brookhuis Dec 26, 2009 1:40 PM

6

Happy Holidays man. Sorry I missed your call.
Look man, I'll be in Shanghai on January 2nd.
We will definitely get together. How long is the train ride.

  d-moss Dec 27, 2009 3:09 AM

7

I'm sorry I missed your call, love! I didn't realize it was a Chinese phone number until my retard brain looked and realized, "Hey. There's one too many numbers on there."
I miss you too! Merry (late) Christmas!

  godohell Dec 27, 2009 5:09 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.