Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Van Gogh, Monet and Paris

FRANCE | Monday, 16 May 2011 | Views [517]

L'Eglise

L'Eglise

Thursday 12th and Friday 13th May

Van Gogh’s resting place, Auvers sur l’Oise, then Claude Monet’s home and garden at Giverny.

Poor Vincent…what a talent and yet such a troubled life…Jim reckons his life is similarly troubled (spare me!)…whilst living his last few months (age 37) in a room on top of a bar/restaurant in Auvers he managed to produce 33 paintings of various scenes in and around this belle village…it was great to see his interpretations of the wheat fields, the church (L’Église) and the houses whilst seeing their reality – we walked to view his grave at the top of the hill overlooking the wheat fields and the village.

Now it’s Friday and we’ve scooted up the motorway to Giverny.  We’re sitting, as you do, looking at the pont japonaise in Claude Monet’s jardin à Giverny…another beautifully sunny Spring day, roses in full bloom, riots of colour everywhere and about 10 thousand school kids all practising the art of impressionism at volume 10!  Janet looks at the teachers herding the throng and is glad she’s not responsible for this lot!   Oh yes…some are carrying the same cute little teacher booklets seen on Aus school trips – these are entitled “Ma visite à Giverny” and the kids are sketching flowers, the house, the bridge and then asking to go to the toilet or “when can we go?”….

11th – 18th May

Paris

My cousin and their family have lived a long time in Cormeilles-en-Parisis, on the outskirts of Paris.  Our time here is very special - the flowers are in bloom, the garden is so relaxing, French wine is great value against our Aussie dollar, and we’ve spent time visiting markets, the Latin Quarter, a restaurant called Chartier (very nice) and into the auction rooms called Drouot where our hands were firmly clenched behind the back!  So much to see…..

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.