Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Belton House, Lincolnshire

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [826]

The secretaire where Mr Darcy (in P & P) wrote a letter to Miss Elizabeth Bennett.

The secretaire where Mr Darcy (in P & P) wrote a letter to Miss Elizabeth Bennett.

7th May 2011

Belton House, Lincolnshire  -  National Trust mansion, which also featured in the BBC series of “Pride and Prejudice” as the home of Lady Catherine de Burgh and a scene whereby the wonderful Mr Darcy wrote to Miss Elizabeth Bennett.  Sorry Deb…..I don’t think the scene where he emerged dripping after diving into the lake was filmed here….I certainly looked out for him though ;)

This is a mansion of formality and opulence.  Everything is amazing.  The grounds are expansive in fact everything was huge!!!!  We liked watching the county cricket game way out on the front lawn…it reminded us a bit of home only that when THEY hit a 6 the ball doesn’t hit the loungeroom windows!  Gee…no “6 and out” at this game!!!!

The last owner, the 6th Baron Brownlow, was Lord in Waiting to King Edward Vlll and was a good friend of he and Wallis Simpson (who stayed there often). He was the one who took her to France to escape the media frenzy and encouraged her to do the old break up thing so he wouldn’t renounce the throne!  But as we know their love prevailed, the King abdicated, Brownlow didn’t attend the wedding in France and so ensued a lifelong fall out between the two good mates. Ah such is life!

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.