Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

A weekend in Moremi

BOTSWANA | Tuesday, 1 March 2011 | Views [610]

An hour later, here's a second pair of lions!

An hour later, here's a second pair of lions!

Tuesday 1st March, 2011

Our weekend at Moremi Game Reserve, Okavango Delta, Botswana

Well, do we write about..

·      the thrill - on 2 occasions - of seeing two male lions within 3m of our car, lying beside the rough track?….

·      or does one mention roof-top camping near the hippo in the pools at Xaxanaxa?….

·      or should it be the sheer tension and excitement of being bogged on a wet season muddy track for 2 hours, hoping to not be prey to the wild animals?….

Moremi Game Reserve is both for wildlife watching and looking after yourself when there’s little or no backup – and we enjoyed both!  To enter the park and to self-drive is fantastic – there are no fences between you and the wildlife – so you need to know what you’re doing.  On Saturday we saw many impala, a few zebra, kudu and lechwe…plus oodles of unmistakable evidence of the close proximity of heffalumps…but the high point was finding lions beside the track on two separate occasions on Sunday!  It was lovely to be so close to them, always ensuring that the desert princess was aligned squarely between their fierce jaws and the tour guide, of course!

Getting bogged was inevitable – after 2 hours of wrenching and heaving on the high-lift jack in a mud-filled water hole we finally got pulled out by some locals who led us from there to Xaxanaxa and showed us just how to tackle these boggy tracks…just plow through the middle and don’t stop!

We tried our comfy tent on top of the bakkie canopy for the first time and it worked well – keeping us dry and safe through the night - the first of many intents nights for us on this trip!  Cooking a braai of boorevors and eye fillet over the open fire was fun and attracted the attention of a snoopy legovan and some sitatunga…

Back in Maun we headed straight to the Bon Arivée bar to recount tales of adventure, despair and passion to any who’d listen…hmmm…ever seen a busy bar empty out in 10 seconds? Plebs….

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.