Existing Member?

Gemma's World Teaching Journal My pictures and comments from my teaching experiences abroad.

Puebla and Cholula

MEXICO | Tuesday, 6 January 2009 | Views [829]

Our big Christmas trip started in Puebla and Cholula.  We had a long drive with an unintentional detour through Mexico City and a couple of traffic jams but we made it!  We got to Puebla in the afternoon and had a littl wander round and grabbed some food.  We didn't spend long there though as our real destination was Cholula, so we headed there just after it got dark.  Unfortunatley we had a little brush with the law on the way, involving traffic lights and getting stuck in the middle of the road and ended up having to pay a $200 peso bribe...  Ed was pretty excited that he could say he had bribed a policeman, i was just glad to get out of there!

The hotel in Cholula was nice, although the pool had no water in it which was disappointing.  We were tired that evening and had an early night without even going out to explore.  The next day we walked in the direction we imagined town would be in, and found... nothing!  I was starting to wonder what kind of a village Cholula was and being very puzzled as to why our ex-housemate Claudia had moved there.

Luckily we found the actual town centre a little bit later and enjoyed wandering around for the rest of the morning.  I bought a scarf in the Christmas market there and then it was time to go and  meet Claudia.  It was really nice to see her and we went to the pyramid together, saw the church and the views of the smoking volcano Popocatepetl (i think that's how it's spelt...) and then me and Ed went through the tunnels under the pyramid which was really cool.  The pyramid there is the 3rd largest in the world, simply for it's width, it's not the tallest pyramid ever, although it feels pretty high when you're climbing up it!

After that we went and got some lunch in the main square.  One thing i liked about Cholula was being able to relax in a cafe on a square and watch the world go by - something i've missed since moving to SLP.  After our late lunch, we walked back via some shops so we could drive to Claudia's house to drop off some stuff we'd brought down for her and have a nosy about her new place. 

In the evening we walked down a street which Claudia had told us had a ot of bars and restaurants on it for dinner and then had another early night as we had the long drive on to Oaxaca the next day...

the pyramid (it doesn't look like one but it is!

the pyramid (it doesn't look like one but it is!

 

About gemma

My friend Elsa's house and me

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.