Existing Member?

Gauri's Adventures

Buy Something When You Like It

ITALY | Wednesday, 4 April 2007 | Views [371]

Today we finally went shopping AND bought stuff! Katie, Morgan and I came home after school to drop our things off and then we went out to the pig market. I think it is called Mercato Nuovo, but we usually just refer to it as the pig market. There is a huge bronze wild boar and Florentines say that if you rub the boar’s nose and place a coin on it and it lands in a certain area, your deepest wishes will be revealed and you will one day return to Florence. We haven’t done that yet, so hopefully when we do, the coins will all land correctly! Before going to the market, Morgan and I had to stop at the bank and get some money. The banks here are crazy! There is a metal detector outside but it is like a space shuttle time capsule that a door opens and you go in, and then that door closes and another one in front of you opens and you’re in the bank. Morgan got in without a problem, but it started speaking Italian to me and the first door wouldn’t close. Some very nice Italian man told us that it was because I had some metal on me, it wouldn’t let me in. I had to give my purse and everything to Katie before I could get in, but I made it and I spoke a little bit Italian to the bank teller and I got money! Anyways, we went to the market and Katie and I both found purses we liked the day before but of course we didn’t get them. Today we thought maybe we would try for the “buy something when you see it and like it” rule but that didn’t work. We found the purses we liked again but Katie decided she didn’t think that was what hers really looked like and I wasn’t sure about mine either. To make an extremely long day of shopping short, it took us from 1:45 to about 6:00 to finally buy the purses we liked in the very beginning. And somewhere in the middle of the day, a scary bum whistled in our ear!! We were just walking down the street, minding our own business when this man came up to Katie and blew a really loud whistle in her ear. It was so creepy and weird. Back to the purses though, Katie’s is red leather and she bought it for 70 euro and mine is green leather and I bought it for 50 euro. They are both double leather which means leather inside and outside, and also means very EXPENSIVE. Molto caro! Before buying our purses, we went to eat at the same restaurant we ate a few days before. We had the same waiter (Eugenio!) who was slightly strange, but still funny. He gave us a free bottle of acqua and told us of a good discoteque to go to. He also said he’s meet us there after work, but that’s a whole different story… When we went back to the markets after feeling rejuvenated after lunch (cheese pizza bread and French fries!), I found a sweatshirt that is extremely cute. It has a fleur de lis and two lions on either side of it. It says ITALIA in old style letters on top of it. Katie and Morgan both found sweatshirts they liked at a different place and Morgan asked for a deal if they bought them together and the guy was like “25 and 18, how much is that?” and Morgan was like “Umm, 30?” It was pretty humorous at the time! After we finally bought our fantastic purchases, we came home and decided to start drinking! We did our homework like good little girls, and then started the drinking games. After drinking for awhile…and becoming increasingly more intoxicated as the night went on…we decided to go out around 11:30. As we were leaving our apartment, we walked by the restaurant at the bottom of the hill and saw this sprinkler hitting just one of the cars parked there. We all started laughing and thinking that really sucks for whoever’s car that is! Then we see a lady walking towards the cars and the car with the water beeps open and she said something like “problema” so we don’t know if she was saying something like “do we have a problem” but it was hilarious! Out of all the cars parked there, and all the people in Florence, we laugh at the one who is standing right there! After our car water experience, we met Javier at a club called YAB. There were so many people there and they all looked about 15 but they played good music so we’ll probably go back when there aren’t as many people some night. I bought a purse AND went dancing, great day!!

Tags: Shopping

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.