Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Down East

USA | Sunday, 30 August 2009 | Views [342]

Lighthouse at Quoddy State Park, ME

Lighthouse at Quoddy State Park, ME

We crossed back to Nova Scotia on Saturday, as expected three hours late. But again the crossing was calm - the newest storm, Denny or Danny, wouldn't arrive until later that night.  Stupid us, we camped instead of finding a motel.  The rain began as I was cooking dinner and it continued all night, finally awakening us around four.  We knew we wouldn't get back to sleep so we broke camp in the rain and headed south.  Nearly 500 miles later we crossed back into the USA, in Calais, ME.

The first thing I noticed was the price of gas, $1.50 less than in Canada.  Distances are in miles, the big numbers on the speedometer, although I prefer the metric system.  One hundred kmh is a great highway driving speed.  You do the math!

We had breakfast with the locals and listened to the weekend small-town gossip though we had a heck of a time understanding the language.  Then we crawled our way south to "Bah Habah" (Bar Harbor) just enjoying the scenery. The coastal towns are almost too cute for words, pastel colored Victorian homes silhouetted against the rugged Maine coastline.  Fog horns started to hoot as the fog rolled in, the perfect sound effect.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.