Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Lake Superior

USA | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [427]

Welcoming committee, Isle Royale

Welcoming committee, Isle Royale

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitchegumie.

Lake Superior holds 10% of the world’s surface water.  It is bordered by three states; Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and we are visiting national parks, national monuments and national lakeshores in all three.

Grand Portage is about as far north as you can go on the lake before you reach Canada.  The Grand Portage National Monument is a reconstruction of the trading fort where voyageurs rendezvoused with the executives of the North West Company to exchange furs for cloth and manufactured goods from Europe.  These would be traded to the Indians for more furs in the following year.  And so it went for 40 years.  The goods from Europe could be ferried across the lake to the rendezvous and the furs transported back by ship also.  But to get furs to the lake and European goods to the Indians required a long trek by land to the navigable Porcupine River – the ‘Grand Portage.’

There isn’t much of a town there today, only the reconstructed fort and a new visitor center plus the obligatory Indian-run casino.  But it is Minnesota’s jumping off point for Isle Royale National Park, some 20 miles out in Lake Superior.  It is a great place to backpack or canoe around.  Someday we hope to return and really explore the island but we had time for the day trip only.  Isle Royale is a living laboratory for studying the dynamic equilibrium between its 450 moose and 25 wolves.   Interestingly it’s the ticks that infest the moose that have the greatest effect on both populations.  Heavy infestation weakens the moose making life easier for the wolves.  But the resulting decline in the moose population forewarns of a decline in the wolf population, thus more moose.  And ticks.  And so on.

Bayfield, WI is the gateway to Apostle Island National Lakeshore.  Like Isle Royale and Voyageurs National Park, Apostle Island is best enjoyed by boat.  In fact you are very much like a fish out of water without one.  Bayfield is a cute little town and would look natural on Nantucket or any small Atlantic coastal town so we stayed for a couple of days.  The weather is good (for Lake Superior, anyway), the raspberries are ripe and we needed haircuts.  Who needs more reason than that? 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.