Existing Member?

The Magical China Trip 2012

Xin Tian Di and the Bund

CHINA | Saturday, 29 September 2012 | Views [2269] | Comments [1]

Gloria and I walked around Xin Tian Di and met Huiling there for dinner.  Xin Tian Di is an old area of Shanghai that has been remodeled into small shops, restaurants, and bistros.  The traditional architecture, especially the shikumen ("stone gate") houses on narrow alleys, has been maintained for the most part, at least on the outside.  The primary places of note are the old site of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea, which was the partially recognized government-in-exile of Korea, based in Shanghai when Korea was a Japanese colony, and the house where the first Chinese Communist Party congress was held in July 1921.  It is lively in the quiet urban way I think of as the meeting place of the “beautiful people.”  It is an affluent and car-free locality.  We saw many foreigners and I heard German, English, and American being spoken.

After a magnificent dinner, which included a fish so fresh that the waiter brought it to the table still alive to show us before it was cooked and several Shanghai cuisine specialties, we walked to the Bund.  There we discovered a fireworks display to celebrate mid-autumn festival across the river.  I took several shots, then, because inadvertently I have been turning on the video camera function of my phone, I captured the movement of a ship traveling along the river with lights picking out its rigging.  I will try to figure out how to post it.

The Bund has that feeling of history and romance.  The old buildings, still mostly banks, are treasures of 19th architecture and preserved as such.  It felt odd taking pictures in color because most of the photographs I have seen of the Bund were in black and white (historical treasures).  It was a pleasant walk, but windy and just on the edge of being chilly.  It was so warm all day that I did not have even the lightest jacket with me.

Then we walked back through Nanjing Road and back to the hotel.

Tags: bund, china, shanghai

Comments

1

Hi Ebeth,

It seems that you really enjoy your trip in Shanghai.I envy you your nice trip over there!
Hope everything will be fantastic and wonderful in your magical China trip.
Have a nice vacation and take care.

祝您 玩得開心 凡事順心

Cheers,
Fangya

  Fangya Oct 1, 2012 3:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.