Existing Member?

The Magical China Trip 2012

Automotive History Museum

CHINA | Saturday, 29 September 2012 | Views [1034] | Comments [1]

Artist's rendering of Ming Sheng truck, the first Chinese built truck in China

Artist's rendering of Ming Sheng truck, the first Chinese built truck in China

Have I mentioned the cold showers?  Last night I finally found the magic touch that makes the water warm instead of cold.  Twice I took showers in water warmer than my cold hands, but cooler than the rest of my body!  It’s a great motivator to be quick, but not comfortable, especially if one is washing hair.  Somehow I got it right last night and had a quick, but wonderfully comfortable shower.  It is humid here in Shanghai, so any exertion results in lots of drippy sweat.

And speaking of exertion takes us to the Automotive History Museum … You know how in America all car lots are at the edge of town (cheaper real estate and all that)?  Well, guess where the Shanghai Automotive History Museum is?  That’s right; it’s at the edge of town with all the car factories and sales floors.  For Shanghai, the edge of town is at the end of the newest subway line (No. 11), just past Shanghai Automotive City.  It took us about an hour and a half to go from my hotel to that subway station.  Then we walked about 2 km to the actual museum.

It is a really new place, built in 2007, and Gloria and I were the only visitors.  If we had made any noise, I’m sure it would have echoed back and forth against the walls for several minutes.  Consisting of five floors, only the first three floors contained exhibits.  The children’s exhibit had really hands-on fun for kids:  video games of driving cars, touchable engines, explanations of tire treads, and much more.  Floors 1 and 2 contained a wide variety of antique, modern, and futuristic cars, including racecars.

The first exhibition was a timeline of the development of transportation.  There, tucked in with other, larger placards and displays was an artist’s rendering of the “Ming Sheng” truck, designed by my father and built by the Chinese at the Liao Ning Trench Mortar Arsenal, completed May 31, 1931.  A man is standing beside the truck with the face of Zhang Xueliang and (I would swear) the body of Li Yichun.  J  It was a drawing, not a photograph.

We did manage to meet the director, a very young man who was not even sure of the Ming Sheng display, but went to research an article on it.  We showed him printouts of the celebration at the factory in June 1931 and offered to send him copies.  He seemed to think it would be okay, but did not display much enthusiasm.  After the warm reception I received from Professor Wu, I was somewhat disappointed in this gentleman’s attitude, but there could have been many reasons for that.  At least I can send him the photos.  Maybe someone there will care.

Gloria and I walked back toward the subway and had lunch (another feast of tasty dishes, including rice and pork porridge, buns, chicken feet, little steamed bao with shrimp, and a crunchy bread roll in a rice flower wrap.  Then we boarded the subway for the ride back.  Interestingly enough, the subway actually is an above-ground train at the far end of the line so I could see a little bit of countryside (with trees) and several of the car manufacturing facilities, not to mention the huge high-rises going up.  The factories did not look much different than those one sees in South Bend, Indiana, or Detroit, Michigan.  We rode to Xin Tian Di to begin our evening explorations.

Tags: shanghai

Comments

1

hello Elisabeth,

so you found the rendering and met the director. I had the same experiences in the museums that I visited, it is difficult to get the staff involved in our queeste..

  erik Oct 10, 2012 11:37 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.