Existing Member?

look out world here we come Here there everywhere wherever we shall roam you can join us.

Ventimiglia Italy-Marseillette-Carcassonne-Narbonne France

SPAIN | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [863]

Ventimiglia ia near the border of Italy and France on the Italian side.  We have enjoyed this part of Italy which is sooo different from Napoli.Here we have found the people very friendly and the town really clean. It is extremely cold and blowing a gale and there is snow on the hills.

Walking along the promanade the waves were about 3-4 metres high and crashing against the rocks.

Leaving here we headed for Marseillette where we had booked via the internet a cottage for a week.

We were picked up from the station by John  who with his wife Vicky own the cottage,they are ex pats from England but are selling up and moving to Vancouver......cottage is selling for about 180,000 EUROS so double that.

The cottage is two up and two down with the kitchen dining and laundry/bathroom downstairs and lounge and bedroom upstairs.All very modern and comfortable. It is in a very narrow street - which they all are - and no back yard.

John kindly left a bread stick and cheese plus a local bottle of red.

In the village the next day was market day where the bakers van and butcher,green grocers all arrive.

Now, I have to admit that this is the time I realise that I now know I should have paid much more attention to Mr Dean Johns..my french teacher... my french is limited to fermer la porte,fenetre and bouchee..which for those like me with little or no French means close the door,window and mouth. Suddenly my words as a 14yr old to him "French is stupid SIR!! I will NEVER have a need for it" came back to haunt me...oh  can a 14 year old be wrong!!!

Well with the help of some locals and a few moos and other farm yard noises we managed to get what we needed.

The village is situated by the Canal Du Midi, it is so picturesque and looks just like a postcard that it's hard to believe we are here.

There are a few barges and houseboats tied up along the canal for the winter.During the week we walked miles along the canal taking a picnic lunch or walking into the next village for lunch.It was so peaceful aand very relaxing.

The village locals were all gathering at the Hotel/Cafe on the Sunday so we thought we would see what was happening...it was their Lotto day or what we call Bingo. So we stayed and we think we had just as much fun as them..once again those french lessons let me down...we could only guess some of the numbers but it was a laugh.

We were very sorry to leave Marseillette as it was everything we had hoped for in a French Village.

We also celebrated another wedding anniversary there with a nice meal and a glass of French wine. Poor old Peter must be bored as he worked out by the end of this trip he would have spent 3,480 hours approx in my company..he will need some serious golf weekends away when he gets back.

Carcassonne where 2,600 years of history are steeped into the walls of the Medieval Walled Town and Castle. Building work began on the Castle in the early 1120.It has 3km of double ring wallls and 52 towers.We walked around the ramparts of the upper outer wall and once agian it was 0 degrees and blowing an icy wind but the view down the Aude river,the town of Carcassonne and across to the snow tipped mountains was breathtaking.

In the city square on the evening they had a lazer light show over the museum and other buildings which was incredible,I hope the photos we took do it justice...you will see them soon promise.

They also had an ice skating rink and some amusement rides for the children which were reindeers and sleighs with Father Christmas at the back holding the reins. The childrens faces were a delight to watch. All the streets have beautiful decorations and carols playing through loud speakers.The largest Christmas tree with lights and artificial snow complete the picture.

Narbonne

This is our last overnight stop before we head into Spain. Narbonne is also all set up for Christmas.

We have had our escargots..snails.. and our le cassoulet ..casserole which we must say were fantastic although neither of us could eat all the cassoulet as it was huge.

We will be planning a trip back to France in the warmer weather it is wonderful.

Barcelona...we have just arrived here today Dec 15th more to follow....

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.