Existing Member?

look out world here we come Here there everywhere wherever we shall roam you can join us.

Barcelona-Sabadell Denia-Palaces

SPAIN | Monday, 29 December 2008 | Views [1753]

Raining but not heavy when we arive in Barcelona from Narbonne via train.Transferred to local train for Sabadell(prounced Saba Day)which is a large suburb of Barcelona about 20 mins out of the city. The price of the hotel is nearly half the cost of one in Barcelona.

Good hotel very central to the restaurants and shops etc.We headed out for dinner at 7pm and walked around the town before we discover nothing opens before 8pm or as it is today not at all on a Sunday. We had been up since 5am travelling on the train for 7 hours so we decided on going to the supermarket for our usual bread,pate,cheese. Which we enjoyed back in the warmth of the hotel.

Next day we caught the train into Barcelona (from now on B)and found a hop on/off double decker bus tour.21 Euros each for three hours we climbed on board and went upstairs. Three minutes into the journey we went downstairs as the rain and chill factor were 1 degree.The bus toured around the town going past all the Catherdals , Churches and Palaces explaining all about the different architecture wheather it was Gothic or Modernist etc all very interseting(Peter said ¨if you like that type of thing!)One of the stops was a village museum which was created in 1929 for B International Exhibition. Recreated were over 115 buildings,streets and squares from throughout the Peninsula.It included workshops where they had people demonstrating glass blowing ,painting and lace making(tatting) and numerous other skils.

Back on the bus we pass B Bull Ring which is now being converted into a shopping mall..something to do with lack of interest or animal rights!

Last night B played Real Madrid and won 2-0 as we went past the BFC stadium there was still a huge crowd celebrating...not quite the grand final at the MCG.

Our next hop off(visulize Peter and I hopping if you dare) was The Port of Barcelona here there are hundreds of yachts and boats of all different shapes and sizes.Also a few replica old sailing ships. The Port and Marina apparently is the largest entertainment centre in B.Mainly shops retaurants and a huge cinema complex.Along the marina are the usual street hawkers selling ¨real¨ desinger watches and bags!

The tour finished at Barcelona Arch De Trompe. Even though the weather had been inclement we really enjoyed the tour.

DENIA

Denia is about 400ks from Barcelona along the coast road which we travelled via coach.The landscape for at least 350ks was an amazing vista of green and orange from the orange groves on one side of the road.On the other side was the coastline which was quite spectacular  you can see why people flock here in the summer. Billions of oranges already for picking in January for making juice.

Our luck is still holding out when we arrive at our hotel..we have an upgrade to a room with private terrace overlooking town and sea...half the town is closed for winter.

Short walk into town along the Esplanade found a tremendous seafood restaurant, three course meal for 10:95 euros. Longer route taken back to hotel.

The following day we wandered the old city which in the 1600´s was a pirate town.Underneath the Castle which sits high upon an enourmous rock in the middle of the town was a tunnel which was built in 1930´s during the Spainsh Civil War used as a refuge for the towns people. Today it used as a short cut to the old part of town.

Parked along the foreshore there are quite a few mobile homes they can stay there free for one night.

While enoying the view and the sunshine 18 degrees not a cloud in the sky not bad for winter we met an English couple Ian and Heather..hi if your reading this.They were from Durham and over for a weeks holiday.

Nearly everywhere we go it is full of British people who either live here or spend half the year here.

While out walking we must have past miles and miles of empty apartments and hotels.We know we have come at the right time as it must be really crowded when all full.

Peter manages to pick up a bug so I leave him in bed moaning and groaning and head out for a bit of retail therapy..I mean I am a retired nurse now and looking after sick people ...when there are shops to see!!!

Pleased to say he improved before our next bus trip the next day.

PALACES.

Another 5 hour bus trip and yes more orange groves and coastal views.

We arrived at Vera which is the bus deport near Palaces where Ann and Kevin live.

Casa Mimosa is the name of their house and it is beautiful set in the country side. Time to unpack and unwind for a few days.

Shown around the country side which changes from scrubland to orange and olive groves.Mountains and coastal villages.There are men still walking their goats and donkeys in the fields.

During one of our drives we notice fields covered in plastic for miles and miles as far as the eye can see. They are covering the tomato plantations.The locals call it Plastic City.

Christmas Day has arrived and we have now been away for 2 months nearly half way through our trip.

Today we are having lunch in the mountains about 20 ks away.The drive starts on the freeway but very soon we are climbing a long winding road..could be a song there..which is now gravel there is snow peaked tops in the distance.The road goes over dry rive beds up into wild boar country.Finally we arrive at www.casa-joya.com (click on for viewing)at 2:30.The restaurant is sitting on top of a ridge over looking the valey.There is a swimming pool and decking outside.Inside it is warm and cosy with the decor being a bit African/Spanis/English due to the owners Mary and James´s travels and Mary being from Africa.

After being offered Cava(champagne) or Mull wine(warm red wine with spices) and nibbles of prawn tarts we were seated at a table overlooking the valley.There are 7 of us including Chris and Annie and Annies mother Babs at the tender age of 93.

The food on the menu was mouth watering and we wre all eager to try.

I won't go into the full menu but it was 5 star quality probably due to James being an internnationl chef in the past.

It was a lovely 5 hours spent with great company.

So thank you Mary for your story on wild boar catching also for excellent service and James for the cooking,Shingi(hope the spelling is correct) their daughter for her smile. It was one Christmas Lunch we will never forget.

To Ann and Kevin thank you for taking us there and Chris,Annie and Babs for your good compnay we will remember this day for ever.

BOXING DAY

Same company as yesterday but at Ann and Kevins...full christmas lunch so excuse me but I am signing off for now.

Happy New Year stay safe everyone more will follow later.

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.