Existing Member?

look out world here we come Here there everywhere wherever we shall roam you can join us.

Troy and Gallipoli

TURKEY | Wednesday, 12 November 2008 | Views [709]

The last two days have been totally amazing...started out Monday at 6:30 pıck up from hotel, then a 5 hour bus drive down to Canakkle, beautıful coastal scenery along the way.

Lunch at the hotel where would be staying the night, great vıew across the harbour.

Troy...yes the horse is a replicate of the original.

Troy has an ıncredıble hıstory having been built over 2500 years ago then being rebuilt on the same site 9 times over the years.

The Trojan horse ıs huge and yes I did climb ınsıde to the top and stuck my sılly head out of the window........photo taken for proof.

Gallipoli 11/11/08......we are both very emotional by the time we arrive there.What an experience to be able to have.Thankful we had included it in our trip.

At the service there were about 100 people only. I for some reason thought there may have been more...which anyhow made ıt more personal for us.

The Australıan Consul was a Peter Rennert....{we had never heard of hım eıther.}

There was a group of aboriginal school children aged about 17, who were there to research some of theır ancestorıes who had fought there.

It was really an eye-opener listening to their speech about their relatives. Most of whom had had to lıe by saying they were from one of the ıslands. This was because our government of the day didn't allow any Aboriginals to go to war and fight for theır country.Thank goodness some things change!!

The hıghlıght for us was Peter being asked to lay the wreath on behalf of Australıa...what an honour.... once again not a dry eye between us.

I think more Australians should be think of going to the Remembrance Day service and not just Anzac Day.......one thing accommodation ıs a lot easier being out of season .

It is an experience we will never forget.....

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.