Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

No Reggaen at Reggae Mansion

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 16 January 2016 | Views [651]

Yesterday I checked out of a hostel in Kuala Lumpur called Reggae Mansion.

 

Hostels tend to be interesting. Unlike hotels, particularly cookie cutter chains-no two hostels seem to be alike. And this was one of the more interesting hostels.

 

The hostel was huge in the center of town, with big signs on the building. (most hostels aren't that well-indicated).  It was 3 stories tall taking up almost a full block. It was confusing, with 3 different wings, with seemingly 9 different staircases all over the building.

 

The furnishings we're actually quite nice, with big cushy arm chairs in the halls, nice artistic prints hanging from the walls, and a relaxing enclosed courtyard in between wings. The rooms, including the 24  bed dorm I was in, we're actually quite comfortable, with queen sized beds, and the sleeping areas we're curtained off.

 

And there was plenty of security, with security guards all over the place.

 

And oh yeah, this was listed as a party hostel-and it was. There was a rooftop bar,  with nice views of the KL and Petronas towers, and other buildings.  A DJ played every night the usual Justin Beiber, Kanye West, and other hits.  The music was so loud as it could be heard something like a 5 block radius (I know-I went out for a walk every night). Drinks we're served, including like three types of alcohol in a small bucket.   And the place was packed every night with hostel guests, mostly in their-20's (Except for me I guess).  I had fun up there.  There was plenty of dancing, grinding, kissing, etc ( not me there either).

 

Interestingly enough, after getting drunk and dirty under the city lights, coupling in the dorms was not allowed.  A strict policy of one person to each bed in the dorms was in place-and enforced. I know because a security guard came into my dorm, went to one curtained bed, and asked how many people we're there, and if they both belonged there. A guy (or the girl) replied he/she didn't, and left.

 

I didn't see them or hear them, and almost felt bad for them-all the preparations we're there-skyline views, Hotline Bling, drinks in buckets, etc-and they couldn't take things to the next level in a (relatively) private area with a queen-sized bed they paid for.

Tags: kuala lumpur, malaysia

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.