Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Back to Nature

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 22 December 2015 | Views [401]

 

Yesterday I took an outing to nature. And I wondered why. I have never been good at physical activities.  Yet I went, with 5 others from the hostel, including the owner who drove us.

 

The first trip was to a waterfall where the scenery was quite beautiful, although the water was very brown. The place was very crowded, though. We walked around the waterfall in  bare feet, and it was nice. I walked up through the while thing, but not further, since I had my expensive camera  I didn't want it to get wet.

 

Then we got back in the van. We we're going tubing down the river. I thought it would be a lazy river-but while preparing for the tubing, we we're given a whole bunch of supplies and protective gear, including a life jacket, knee-guards and arm guards.n I was starting to get scared. Instructions we're given (in Indonesian language-someone in our group helped translate).  The staff helped put this gear on and it didn't seem like the knee guards fit.  Then I had to drop my shoes in a special area-and we walked downstairs to the rafting area. Every one else brought flip flops and I didn't have any-so I had to walk barefoot down a stony path-(I walked along the side of the path which wasn't too bad).  We then got to the rafting area. I got into the inner tube ass first, and then slowly went down the river. It was fine. We got too some rapids, and I went through ok. We even went through a cave and saw bats. And more rapids.  Someone from the group fell out of her inner tube and was in some pain. Others fell  out as well. Amazingly, I never did.

 

We we're given free lunch which was small (basically Ramen noodles). I opted for a second portion which I had to pay for (about $.35)

 

We went back to the hostel. Then a few of us went to the dinner with the owner to an authentic Indonesian restaurant, and he showed us what to eat-including cow lung, some weird potato dish, and some food that Time magazine or someone said "Was one of the ten food to eat before dying"

 

I went back to the hostel and went to bed-to sleep early for the sunrise tour today.

 
 
 

Tags: indonesia, jogjakarta

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.