Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Leaving Jarkata

INDONESIA | Sunday, 20 December 2015 | Views [560]

Yesterday was my last day in Jarkata. Thanks to patronizing the roof top  bar, I woke up on the late side, (probably close to 8:00-(my late is still earlier then many other's people's early's, particularly in hostels).

 

I went downstairs to work on the computer. Between writing the blog, checking email, Facebook, etc-I easily spend a few hours on the computer every morning. Around 11:00 am, the guy who gave me a ride on the motorbike came downstairs, along with a few others I have been hanging around with, and we decided to go  for lunch. (I can always eat lunch). We went half a block down to a traditional Indonesian vegetarian restaurant.  The people I went with  said it was clean-but clean is relative, especially compared the traditional Western standards. The food was good, although lots of flys we're around. One person I went with was a guy from Singapore, who was interviewing people in Jarkata for a project. The other was an Indonesian girl from the north who stays at the hostel a lot, because she likes to spend time in town I guess.

 

I learned about the language-how to say thank you to both men and women.  The guy from Singapore also spoke Chinese, so I learned that there are many different ways to address people.

 

After returning from lunch around 1:00 pm-I had some time before the bus from the airport to pick me up (at 4). So I sat around the hostel and rested for a while. The hostel in Jarkata is too easy to  sit around, as it is one of the best equipped hostels  I have seen. In addition to the aforementioned roof top bar, the hostel has a movie room, where one can watch many on demand tv shows and movies. Outside the movie room there was a TV with HBO, and plenty of couches/sofas to sit around and relax on. There was free breakfast and inexpensive lunch. And the entire hostel had bamboo plants and decor and incense burning. 

 

At 1:45 or so, I went to a antique market about a 15-20 minute walk away from the hostel.  There we'e a lot of different booths selling many  wooded items, like sculptured masks.  I walked back through the heat and relaxed back at the hostel. 

 

At 4:00 pm, myself and three others took the taxi to the airport (which was more expensive then we we're told-the driver put the meter on-which was good for him because there was a lot of traffic.) We got to the airport about 2 hours early and had a drink at Starbucks.

 

The plane left a little late, about 8:00, on an airline called Garuda Indonesia, the main airplane took me to Jogkakarta, the next destination. The flight was only $46. (vs $30.00 for the train-about 8 hours vs 1 hour for the flight).   The airline was different then US carriers-we we're served a snack box, with a pastry and 2 cookies.

 

The hostel sent for a pickup from the airport. and  I took the hour drive from the airport, and we went to the hostel. 

Tags: jogjarkata

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.