Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Should Have Stayed In The Dark

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 16 December 2015 | Views [568]

Yesterday, when I finished writing I was sitting in the transfer lounge at the airport in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. The lounge was a dark, windowless room, with cushy reclining chairs, and a staff that was quite helpful. Lunch was provided for free. (the same food provided on the plane, in the same package). If you remember, the folks in the lounge tried to discourage folks like me from leaving the lounge long before their flight. I however, wanted to go to a brighter place, and I envisioned a giant shopping mall complete with lots of eateries and some natural light to boot. I had seen pictures of the Dubai airport, and since Saudi Arabia was also in the desert and oil rich, I figured it would be similar.

 

Well-the airport wasn't. I escaped the transfer lounge a good three hours before my flight, and while there was natural light-there wasn't much more. After going through security, I went through the large duty-free shop (which was roughly the size of two Walgreens side by side), and to the gate area, where there we're a few quick service restaurants (a  Starbucks style coffee place, and a Basin Robbins-and not much more).  Other then the duty free shop there was a small souvenir kiosk. That was it. The man in the transfer lounge was right for encouraging me to stay there.

 

At 5:45 pm, roughly 9 hours after landing in Jeddah, I boarded the flight for Jakarta. The plane was another 777-but the fellow passengers we're different. On the Toronto to Jeddah flights-just about everyone appeared to be stereotypical Arabs. Some men looked like Shieks-the women all had their head covered. On this flight, from Jeddah to Jakarta, there we're more Indonesians-the men looked like those I had seen working onboard a cruise ship, and the woman-still had their heads covered. This flight was a little shorter-only about 9 hours. The food was roughly the same  I watched Home Alone on the entertainment system. Once again Home Alone was censored. (How can this family Xmas movie be censored?, you may ask-posters of scantily dressed ladies in Kevin's brother's room we're blurred out).

 

Around 8:15,  After finishing my book-listening to the audio options (not too much from the west), and watching some CNBC business specials-the plane arrived in Jakarta. I went through customs easily, and got my bag (yes it did follow me).

 

i took a bus to downtown Jakarta, and took a cab to the hostel. (those we're the instructions).  I arrived at the hostel too early to check in-but the lady let me take a shower (my first in 2 days).  And I am on the computer for the first time in days at the hostel (the transfer lounge yesterday had poor wifi).  Being in a hostel again is familiar, yet strange, after spending time at home. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.