Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Tarnovo is Veliko But The Guide Isn't

BULGARIA | Tuesday, 6 October 2015 | Views [363]

Yesterday was the first full day here in Veliko Tarnovo, and it was a nice day. I went on the usual free walking tour at 11:00 am (after breakfast at the hostel), and it was very rushed. The guide just seemed to be reading from a script, and didn't want to answer my many questions. 

She went through the history of the town, mentioning that at one point Veliko Tarnovo was in the running for Capital of Bulgaria (after the break off of Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire in the late 1800's, but because Bulgaria wanted to reclaim lost land, Sofia would be more centrally located (to all the land lost in past wars which Bulgaria wanted to reclaim if that makes sense)).

 

I also learned that Veliko Tarnovo was originally just Tarnovo. Veliko was added during the communist era by the Russians, and it means "Great". Also we learned about Kolyu Fichetoan architect who built many of the buildings.

 

In truth, the guide wasn't real helpful, even though she had big boobs, but the weather turned nice, and we we're able to wear shorts.

 

Later on, we went on a walk to the fort on the hill, and saw the reconstructed church, which looks like a traditional church on the outside but is actually more of an art gallery with modernist works in the inside, and was cool. 

 

As we walked out, it was raining. We went back to the hostel and had dinner of rice and beans (I think).

 

Then we just sat in the common area, and talked with the others about  the UFO, some big monument that I was going to visit tomorrow, and read my book. Then I took a walk and went to town for something else to eat. I found some grain bars and bread sticks at a "Non Stop"-which is a 24 hour store. I went back to the hostel to bed.

Tags: bulgaria, veliko tarnovo

 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.