Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Plovdiv Day

BULGARIA | Sunday, 4 October 2015 | Views [402]

Yesterday I woke up to the modest breakfast here at the hostel, which was simply corn flakes.

 

And then I walked back down the pedestrian street, and walked over to a small museum (I thought there was a display on the unification of Bulgaria which seemed like it would be somewhat interesting, but there was no such display). It was more the usual display of pots and pans and little interesting things that weren 't very interesting.

 

Then I went for lunch of Bulgarian Yogurt, an orange and a package of olives, and went on a free walking tour of Plovdiv. I  learned that Plovdiv is one of the oldest cities in the world, and founded around 4000 BC. I also got a gilmpse of what is a Bulgarian Mount Rushmore, except the famous Bulgarians are painted on the mountain instead of carved!

 

I also saw the ancient Roman stadium, which is only partially excavated. (I saw a glimpse yesterday). and learned it was discovered under the streets only about 50 years ago. I also learned about a neighborhood called "The Trap" because in olden times I had many little streets and we're hard to navigate, but much of the neighborhood burnt down (Since  buildings we're wooden)-and the streets we're re-done in a more navigable manner. They used to be occupied by craftsmen, but when large scale factories replaced craftsman in the communist days, the buildings we're largely abandoned. Now they are being reclaimed by artists.

 

After that, for the third time I saw the theatre, and learned a little more-that it used to be free, and now there was a fee, but it wasn't worth paying.

 

After the tour, I bought a new book to read-since I was finally done with  A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, a book I started months ago in Vienna, which I read slowly. I bought Grapes of Wrath at one of the two book stores I found in town selling English books (which is two more then most American towns).

 

I had dinner of grape leaves and potatoes from the supermarket, and walked around for a while the city for a while taking pictures, and went back to the hostel. At the hostel, I sat around the table playing a little cards-a game called President. I also ate a second dinner with the others from the hostels of  moussaka.   I talked to the others, including a girl (Who I actually first met at Hostel Mostel in Sofia), who is biking around Europe. I am getting a cold, and sneezing-I think it is the colder weather.

Tags: bulgaria, plovdiv

 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.