Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Relaxing Simple Ohrid

MACEDONIA | Thursday, 24 September 2015 | Views [398]

Yesterday I spent the day here in Ohrid, and it was a nice relaxing day. It started with a  cooked breakfast from Ana, who runs the hostel.  All of us who stayed at the hostel, including Ana, ate (including Ana, there we're 3 of us eating) of  Proya, a Macedonian dish which is made from eggs and sesame, like a big pie, which was delicious. 

 

Then I went out and took a walk back towards the lake. It was a beautiful day in the 70's, and I was able to walk alongside the promenade, past stores, tourist boats, and restaurants. This time of year it is slow along the lake, as the tourist season has passed, so there we're many tourist boat captains looking for people to carry, but not many tourists.

 

At around 2:00 or so, I went to lunch at same place as yesterday, called Dr. Falafel.  It is a nice light place with falafel and hummus, and while I was eating some little kid, probably about 8 years old, kept interrupting my eating and asking me questions, like what are the scrapes on my arm (from hiking the other day), how long I was here for, if I am making  videos, etc. I found out from Mommy that her, her  son, and aunt/big sister are originally from Macedonia but now live in Arizona, and we're here to visit grandma. The kid was sooo happy to find someone who speaks English that he kept on talking.  Mommy was trying to encourage her son to keep eating and not talk to me.  Personally, after spending most of my years in sales, I think the ability in young kids to talk worry-free to strangers is a great gift, and should be encouraged.

 

After lunch, I walked back up the hill, and visited some of the sites I revisited yesterday, such as the ampitheatre, but also some ones I haven't visited, such as the church of St. John Theologian, which was built in the 13th century, and is right on the lake with rock walls underneath.

 

Then I walked back through town, and bought a new pair of sandals. I bought a pair back in Poland, but the strap broke,  I think from the hike the other day. So I found one for about $30 which is more then I wanted to spend, but I don't like wearing my sneakers for other then running and I just had my flip-flops in addition.

 

I wanted to catch a tour boat on the lake that left at 5:30 (I thought)-but I learned the boat left at 1 and returned at 5:30 (the sign said departure 5:30-which actually meant return). So I  just sat on a bench by the lake and watched the sunset.  I sat for a few hours, and then went back to the hostel.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Macedonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.