Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Walking Tour and Sitting on the Porch

KOSOVO | Wednesday, 16 September 2015 | Views [451]

Yesterday, I went on a walking tour of Pristina. This is what I was looking forward to all along. Pristina obviously isn't a Madrid, Prague or even a Sarajevo. This is the largest city of a country that has oficially only been recognized since 2008.

 

The walking tour was given by a 21 year old college student. The guy was knowledgable, and I saw

 

- A new Catholic Church which was recently completed.

- A grand hotel, which was on the site of a mosque (Destroyed back in the communist days of the 50's or 60's so the hotel could be constructed).

- The grand bazaar, which is centered around 3 mosques-so the workers at the bazaar could pray easily (from what I gathered). 

- An old house in the Ottoman style,

 

I also learned that the reason the US and other nations involvement in the war for Kosovo's independence was to avoid a reprise of the Bosnian war, where thousands of innocent civilians we're killed.

 

While I was glad I was able to  learn this (my main question about US involvement), the guy wasn't a professional tour guide, and focused more on the sights rather then political events, and didn't really stop to discuss them-he discussed them more while walking, and it was difficult to hear.

 

After the tour, we all went to an American-style restaurant, and had lunch with  a few beers-and then I went back to the hostel for a nap (it was around 3:00).

 

At 5:00, I walked down to the front porch, and BSed with the others in the hostel. We discussed other parts of Kosovo, past travels, and other stuff.  After a while, 8 of us went to a restaurant called Te Nazi for dinner-which was inexepensive ($22 Euros for all 8 of us). 

 

We then went back to the porch to talk. The people here are largely American, which is unusual. (out of 9 of us on the porch last night at least 5 we're American). We discussed the usual-one is a recent college graduate who studied Linguistics (and has already learned a  lot of Albanian phrases in less then 24 hours here).  The one nice thing about Americans is few smoke-so in the crowd of 9 only 3 smoked (tops)-so it was easy to breathe.

 

Tags: kosovo, pristina

 

 

Travel Answers about Kosovo

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.