Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Tired in Tirana

ALBANIA | Sunday, 13 September 2015 | Views [443]

Yesterday I was thinking of staying in Berat for another day. In isn't that I loved Berat that much-it is a small village that while beautiful-isn't a big deal-and doesn't offer much to do other then for a few days. It sure wasn't the hostel I was staying in-the hostel offered one bathroom for like 12 people (if not more)-and the bathroom didn't have a shower curtain/door-so the water leaked everywhere.

 

It was just that I wasn't feeling too well.  If you remember, two days before when I reached Berat, the rain was pouring hard, and the path to the hostel was like a river, which I was forced to walk through with my sandals. Now two days later, my soaked clothes still weren't completely dry, and I was had a cough and a small headache.  Not to much, the next place I wanted to go would be Kosovo-and to get there  I would have to go back through Tirana, sitting on another filthy,crowded bus, (just like when I came from Tirana to Berat) . Staying in bed would have been much more comfortable.  

But I really didn't want to stay in Berat, as you can see. So I decided to brave the elements and start the journey to Kosovo. But rather then go directly there, I decided to stay in Tirana for an additional night, and go to Kosovo the next day (plus I had no idea what time the Bus from Tirana to Kosovo would leave). And since I wasn't feeling well-I decided to stay in  a hotel for the night-and I knew which one-the Tirana International Hotel and Conference Center-right in the middle of town for $126 per night.  Yes it was about  8-9 times the cost of a hostel, but I was tired and once again, needed a break from shared-bathrooms-requiring-flip-flops,  bunks beds, etc-and I was ready for alone time. Not to mention, I knew exactly where the Tirana Hotel and Conference Center was (after 4 months of asking directions on the street and getting weird looks, this was no small thing)

 

So I took  the bus back to Tirana-this bus wasn't as bad as the one I took to Berat-the bus was relatively clean, and was only about 1/2 full-so there was room to spread out. The only problem is that after the 3-4 hour ride, the driver dropped a few others in myself "in the center of town"-only it wasn't the center of town, and we didn't know where we we're.  We we'e actually a good 15-20 (at least it felt like) blocks from the center-so after asking numerous directions, I walked to the center of town, and to the hotel.

 

The Tirana  International Hotel and Conference Center was built in 1980's (According to the walking tour guide), as the only western-style hotel in the city (now there is also a Sheraton-but nothing else as far as I could see).    The building is 14 stories tall, and has a glittery lobby with a fountain and men in suits and ties shaking hands, no doubt discussing important matters. 

 

I checked in and went to my room-which was sort of modest in contrast to the lobby-the furnishings look more motel 6 like then a grand hotel, and in badly need of renovation.

 

However, I went right to bed and took a nap-and even turned on the tv. I watched some BBC, and another English Language channel, where I found a movie-a depressing flick about a son and daughter having to send their dad to a nursing home,  he was writing messages on the wall with his poop. 

 

Later on I was feeling a little better-so I went out to dinner-the first place, a fish restaurant didn't want to serve me. The first two things I asked about on the menu, the waiter said were not very good.  He did agree to bring me a soup and salad-but after about 1/2 an hour they haven't arrived-so I went to a Greek place next door and had some Slovacki.   I then went back to the hotel and went to bed around 9:00 pm.

Tags: albania, tirana

 

 

Travel Answers about Albania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.