Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Kracking in Krakow

POLAND | Sunday, 2 August 2015 | Views [431]

Yesterday was my first day in Krakow. Like most places, I have no idea why I came here. I have never been to Poland-I didn't know what was here besides Auschwitz, the Concentration Camp, where I will go in a few days.

 

I was going to start the day with a free walking tour recommended by the front desk at the hostel, but  I was a little late getting ready for it-as it started at 10:00 am, and I arrived at the main square around 10:15. At 10:30, however, there was a food tour, which I thought looked interesting-so I went on the food tour. The group went to different restaurants, and tasted different Polish foods, like Herring, Pirogi, and other foods. It was a nice morning tour, started with half a cup of vodka.

 

After the 2 1/2 hour tour-i went on the original walking tour of old town, that I wanted to go on at 10:00 am. There was a huge crowd wanting to go on both tours-and the group was split in two.  One group leader was a freaky looking guy with a nose ring, long hair, and a messy goatee. The other leader was actually the assistant from the food tour, a neat woman in her 20's. I could tell  the freaky looking guy would be the better tour guide, because anyone with an appearance  like that leading a tour must be good.  But I was assigned to the woman's tour-because of where I was standing. I could tell the woman probably wouldn't be that good, and I was right. She talked very hurriedly and didn't hold the group's interest it seemed.

 

After 2 1/2 more hours-I had a snack of mushroom and cheese on a baguette-the version of pizza here. I also watched some kids putting on an odd play with baroque music near the town square. Afterwards, I went on the third tour of the day, which was  a macabre Krakow tour, talking about scents of ghosts, murders, and vampires. It was  a more interesting tour-afterwards I went out with a few guys, one of whom was on the first tour, and had few beers at the Hard Rock Cafe.  

 

What really pissed me off though is when I returned to the hostel, I couldn't find my phone. I must have left it somewhere but I don't know where. The last place I remember using it was trying the wifi out at a Costa Coffeehouse. The place was closed, I was just standing outside attempting to use the wifi. i don't remember using it afterwards, although I did take the small tripod  out of my camera bag, and may have misplaced the phone then.   Or maybe someone stole it.

 

It pisses me off. Unlike a lot of others-my whole life isn't dependent on the phone-I have my computer and a camera, but it is annoying, I still like to have the ability to make phone calls, and check the internet without my computer-which is handy for directions. I can buy a small  tablet but that is money I don't want to spend plus I will need to buy a new phone when I return.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.