Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

the long road to Christ

PORTUGAL | Monday, 1 June 2015 | Views [574]

If you look at the picture of the April 25th bridge, you will see pictures of Cristo Rei, which is a large monument and cross on the far side of the suspension bridge. It is actually Lisbon's answer to Christ the Redeemer from Brazil. Yesterday,  I decided to check it out, and being that a train crosses the bridge, I figured I would take the train there(I like trains).

I started by walking to the rail station not far from the hotel. Upon going to the station, I learned that the train from that station does not go to the monument, and also the easiest way to get there was to take the ferry.(which left just steps from the rail station I was at).  Of course, I didn't do things the easiest way. The man at the station advised me to go  to another station, by taking the metro. So I took the metro to another station, which was supposidly near the train station. I attempted to exit the metro(and I couldn't for the life of me find the fare card I purchased for the metro, which was needed to exit-so I had to beg the station security to let me out, and I had to purhase another ticket.) Once I was out, I couldn't find the train station. I got back on the metro to another station-and walked in a direction a guy in the street told me to walk. Eventually, I found the train station which would take me to Christo Rei.  A guy told me which side of the platform to wait for the train to take me there. I got on the train and figured soon I would see Christ.  

On the train, I saw the bridge come into view. I also saw that the tracks leading to the bridge weren't the same tracks the train was on.  Seeing this was the wrong train, I got off the train at the next station, got back on a train heading back to a station before the tracks diverged, and got on another train.

This time, the train indeed did cross the bridge, and I figured from the station, I could walk to Christo Rei. Wrong-from the station, I had to wait for a tram to a small town across the river from Lisbon called Cascais, which was a 15 minute tram ride or so.  Could I walk there? No. From here I had to take a bus, another 15 minutes to Cristo Rei.

Well, hours later, about 4 after I started off, (when had I taken the station manager's advice of the ferry to short bus ride), I found him. I found  Cristo Rei, and climbed the monument. 

BTW, on this trip as a whole, I have visitied many churches, monestaries, and now Cristo Rei. I am Jewish, and while I don't believe Christ was the messiah, I do believe he was a man without an ego to be looked up to, and a righteous dude.  And while I may not agree with piety to Christ, the signs of it in Church's etc is beautiful.

After seeing Christ, I took the bus back down to Cascais-and found a pedestrian mall, where I ate at a sidewalk cafe. The service was slow, but the meal of cod with vinegar and lemon was delightful!

Later, I took the ferry back (I was content not taking the train back), and walked around Lisbon once again, this time taking an elevator (Degisned by the same person as the Eiffel tower) to another part of the city. (Lisbon is very hilly), and wandered around, examining the buildings, etc. 

Tags: christ, lisbon

 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.