Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

What ya in for?

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [461]

After Stonehendge (and yes I carried my luggage around Stonehendge and Saram Hill, a war re creation scene and old castle), I went searching for the hostel where I was to spend the night.  I figured Salisbury would be a small town, and it would be easy to find the hostel-nope and nope. It is rather large, with many blocks, a pedestrian mall, a Debenhams downtown (a UK version of Macys), and it's own bus system.  So having no idea where to go, I figured I would try mapping it out, and went to a Costa Coffeehouse, figuring their wifi would help. But their wifi is a system called O2, which requires a mobile number which they text you a code to access wifi. I have a mobile number which  I can access-but only opeartive with Wifi-which I couldn't access. So after wasting money on a hot chocolate-I found a Starbucks just a few doors down-I don't have any particular allegiance to Starbucks, and only go their occasionally at home, but I have learned their Wifi is reliable and easy to access.

I couldn't find it on wifi-but saw a Milford Park hotel was in town (I was  at the Milford Park YHA hostel-so surely it must be nearby).  Four guys and girls in their 20's smoking outside the Starbucks directed me to the hotel (not hostel).  I figured the desk clerk would at least be able to direct me to the hostile. And he did-after looking it  up online. He even took out a map and used a pen to show me the way-which was very nice-but it was nowhere close-the Milford Park hotel was on the complete opposite side of town from the Milford Park YHA hostel-about a 1/2 hour walk if I had to guess. So I walked back through town, went up a few hills, and came to a few signs for the YHA-and eventually a long gravel driveway-a nice entrance in a  car, I am sure-but not particularly so when you are tired of walking. Actually, this long gravel driveway looked like it belonged at a place I probably should be at: either a Mental Hospital, or a place I should have been at a long time ago, a reform school. The place looks like a time-worn mental facility with chairs, worn carpets, etc.

I checked in and paid around $6.00 for a towel, which I think was stolen, ($4.00 or so is supposed to be given back when returned).  and walked into the all boys room of approx 8 bunks. The bottom bunks we're all taken-and the few guys who we're relaxing in their bunks game me the look like I was indeed in reform school-like we we're juvenille delinquents, like "What are ya in for?"

I got a good night sleep-but still think my towel was stolen. I ended up drying off from the shower with my sweatshirt, which was suprisingly effective.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.