Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Manchester the end #2

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 13 May 2015 | Views [389]

industrial revolution

industrial revolution

Anyway, apart from changing hotels-yesterday was a most interesting day. I went to the museum of the People, which gives various displays of the various stages of revolution/political party in Great Britain.  One touching interactive display shows a family tree-a great great grandfather, great grandmother, grandfather, and father-and tells what life was like for all of them. E.g. the great great grandfather had to work 16 hour day Mon-Fri in a coal mill, and that was when there was work-when there was no work the family basically starved. This time line continuted to the father, who worked 8-9  hour days, received days off, health benefits, etc.

I thought the below display was interesting. It mentioned how cotton from the American South was imported to Manchester to be used in the steam-powered mills to develop clothes. My first thought was then-The US was a new country started by an old country (Great Britain) for those in search of freedom, and here those who are free in the old country (where all aren't free) are importing goods from those who aren't free in the new country (slaves picking the cotton), which of course was the country started so all would be free.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.