Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Napier, Art Deco & Lake Taupo

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 30 May 2011 | Views [450]

I'm about a week behind on my blog so pretty much just a quick one what i done in Napier and Taupo (considering it wasn't all that exciting).

It was around a 5 hour journey to get from Wellington to Napier, but there wasn't much in between that i wanted to see so i decided just to head straight there. Napier is famous for a couple of things, what i never knew before i arrived is that it's the place which gets the most sunshine in NZ (honestly i didn't plan it but it was sunny for the 2 days i was there). It was also completely rebuilt in an Art Deco style in the 1930's after an earhquake devastated the whole central area (seems to be a running theme in this country).

 I arrived quite late in the afternoon so ended up just taking a walk along the shore and found an amazing ice cream place so sat and enjoyed that whilst the sunset. The hostel i was staying in was small and friendly and they had free wifi, but it absolutely baltic unfortunately cos they had no heating! Anyhoo i cocooned myself up and managed to have a half decent sleep and the next day i was up and out to head up to a lookout point called Bluff Hill. I must be so unfit right now because i was huffing and puffing at the steep parts but it only took me about 45 mins to the top and it had amazing views of the bay and the port below. After about an hour sitting at the top i headed back down for a float around the wee town and bought some more thread for my bracelet making.

The next morning i was up bright and early to take my bus to Lake Taupo which is the largest lake in New Zealand. I only had a night to pass through there so luckily i arrived pretty early and had the rest of the day to go on yet another walk! I ended up heading up towards Huka Falls, which was about a 2 hour round trip so not too bad. I had now entered volcano land so en route there were some hot springs which you could have a pit stop in..i planned on doing this on the way back but unfortunately there were about 5 people in the pool and i didn't want to plonk myself right inbetween them all. It was a really nice forest walk alongside one of the rivers which leads out from the Lake, and the water was so unbelieveably clear and blue. When i eventually reached the falls it was so noisy and they had a wee bridge over one part..the water flows really fast because it's so narrow and you wouldn't want to be in a boat going down it! I have some cracking photos to put up when i eventually get some free internet to upload them. On my way back i passed by one of NZ's many bungees, this one they dunk you in the river and i was lucky to watch one guy poof out on it and another guy jumping. I have to say there's still nothing that would make me want to do it! I went back to the hostel and after watching some movies i had a pretty early night (yet again!) as i was off to Rotorua about 10ish the next morning.

Tags: napier, north island, taupo

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.