Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Phi Phi Island..the Land of No Return

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 6 October 2010 | Views [420] | Comments [3]

The last 5 days have been a bit mental to say the least - lack of a decent wifi connection and too much alcohol have prevented me from updating this but today i managed to get myself off Phi Phi with 4 days worth of beer and buckets sweating out of my body..

In 5 hours i have gone from a 16 bed sweaty dorm with cold skanky showers, no plug sockets & mosquito paradise to a swanky twin room with a hot shower & air con, a TV, a fridge and boring normality. I actually preferred the first one but all the fun needs to end at some point :(

Phi Phi is so tiny you can walk around the village in 20 mins and the only transport they have are bikes and boats so you pretty much feel at home straight away. 

I won't lie, my first reaction when i checked into 'The Rock' dorm and seen Dave lying across the floor, was holy f&*$ i'm never going to last it in here..i'll stay one night and move on. But it's funny how a group of people can make the experience and i met some of the nicest and funniest people since i've been in Thailand so i'm very glad that i done it! It seemed like each of my nights there got progressively worse in levels of drunkeness (i went from 'oh i don't drink whisky' on the first night, to consuming lethal buckets of Sangsom) and if i hadn't booked my ferry back i'm sure i would have ended up staying a lot longer, alot of the people had been there for at least one month and you can work as a PR and basically get free drinks and a few quid to dance about all night. There's a running joke that you can never leave cos you hear everyone saying 'oh im going to leave tomorrow i think' and 4 days later they are still there saying 'one more nigggh' when the wee woman comes round to check who is staying.

Since it rained most of the time i was there, i only got to the beach once and the rest of the daytime was pretty much spent sleeping but it didn't feel like a wasted day since there was nothing much to do but chill out anyway. On my second day a group of us from the dorm ended up going on a boat trip which took you to Maya Bay where they filmed 'The Beach' and some stops on the way to Monkey Island and snorkelling which was pretty amazing cos the water is sooo clear!! Some people actually seen sea snakes..eek! The Beach was beautiful and it was the whitest sand i've ever seen in my life, you can totally see why they chose to film it there!

I also made a new discovery for food..cheese pancakes! This was pretty much my staple diet for the last 5 days, along with cheese and onion crisps, omlettes and curries from Papaya (amazing restaurant).

Another thing which became routine every night was going to watch the Thai Boxing at the reggae bar. They have a couple of guys doing pro boxing, but it's all staged like WWF which is a bit disappointing. They also have a competition for tourists and if you fight you get a free bucket of cocktail and some sort of injury as a souvenir. Luckily i never mangaged to get persuaded to go in but a few people from the dorm did and it was the funniest thing!! 

Anyway i'm off to try and detox my liver of whisky and hopefully going to make it to Malaysia over the next couple of days as i couldn't face the bus journey today so im still in Krabi.

 

Comments

1

hahah sounds amazing! your photos are great! I well thought you had entered into the wwf with that pic :-)
Really happy you met some great people - Im sure the rest of your trip will be full of people like that :-)
Take care
xxxx
ps where you off to now???

  ashley Oct 6, 2010 11:47 PM

2

Brilliant, u r a true Scottish Jakie. X

  Auntie Claire Oct 7, 2010 4:12 AM

3

Sounds brilliant!! Hope you got some wicked dance moves in!! xx

  Laura Oct 9, 2010 4:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.