Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Tiger Cave Temple

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 2 October 2010 | Views [368] | Comments [2]

As i mentioned there's not much to do in Krabi Town itself, however i'm actually really enjoying it as there's hardly any tourists around, everything is dirt cheap and they have an amazing food market which you could walk around for ages trying lots of different things! Normally people take day trips to see the islands, go rock climbing, canoeing, white water rafting etc but for the last 3 days i've been trying to have fun for as cheap as possible and rather than spending 20 quid on a day trip i've been scraping by on about 2 quid for my bus fare and the same on food!

I decided not to go to the beach today since i'm going to be there for 5 days from tomorrow non-stop. The other DIY option was to go to the Tiger Cave Temple which is free and consists of climbing 1237 stairs to the top of the temple. Now i've become a bit lazy and unfit in the last month since i haven't been dancing at all so i was looking forward to the challenge and the fact you are rewarded with amazing 360 views of Krabi and the nearby islands.

I took the local bus and i was the only person going there, it turned out there was only a handful of tourists at the Temple as it's low season at the moment..all the better for me!! When you first walk into the grounds there are alot of monks and nuns strolling around, i don't know why but they kind of freak me out a bit as i've never heard one talk or smile in the whole time i've been in Thailand..i find them a bit intimidating! Anyway i decided not to hang around the bottom of the hill for long as there were some kamikase monkeys jumping around the place and i heard they can be pretty vicious and try to steal your belongings! I also wanted to get the hike out of the way before it got too hot (i started about 11am). The first 200 or so were fine but some of the stairs were more like ladders as they were so steep!! I have taken some photographs pretty much every couple of hundred stairs as i stopped for a wee breather. I was quite proud of myself i only had 2 long 5 mins breaks and it took me about 45 minutes to get to the top. I was sweating like an absolute pig the whole way but it was definitely worth it for the views. The photos don't really do it justice but the scenery is spectacular here as there are alot of mountainous rocks in really unusual shapes. I could see right out to the Andaman sea and Koh Phi Phi where i'm heading next! It was nice just to relax at the top because there was only me and another Aussie guy and his Thai guide so it was very peaceful..i love when there's no other tourists around because they quite often ruin these moments with their shouting!!  

The trip back down wasn't as bad but safe to say i had jelly legs and they are still pretty sore just now! I didn't realise the public bus didn't actually come back to the temple unless other people were headed there so ended up getting home on a ramshackle of a tuk tuk which broke down on the main road at the traffic lights - good job the traffic isn't as bad here as in Bangkok or we'd have been flattened!!

After a long siesta this evening, i ended up taking a wander in the town and found a weekend night market. It was absolutely mobbed and obviously the place to be for the locals as there was a stage and a concert going on too. There were some horrific singers, i don't know what it is about Asian singers but they just seem to sing off beat, off tone and it sounds like a complete screech to me..but each to their own! I was more impressed by some wee bboys who took to the stage, they were doing some basic moves like toprocks, 6 step and freezes but the youngest was about 3 and he was so cute! I was so tempted to go and show them some moves but probably not the best idea after eating a curry. I walked around in circles about 3 times before deciding what i wanted to eat, there is just so much choice here but alot of curries have fish floating in them and i wasn't feeling like that so stuck to good old sweet n sour chicken and a strawberry smoothie. I also had a bit of a shopping spree since it's alot cheaper to buy things here than it will be on the island so i bought some beachy shorts, a stripey jumpsuit and a lilac solar panel watch..snazzzzy!

 

Comments

1

Aww I always imagine the nuns and monks to be like the ones in Sister Act, what a shame lol!! And I thought Dumbarton Castle had lots of steps ha ha!! Don't think I could've coped with the steep steps so well done you! You must've been in your element when you saw the bboys, bet you would've been recruited if you had jumped in!! Can't wait to see your snazzy watch xxx

  Rosemary Oct 3, 2010 12:08 AM

2

xx

  Laura Oct 5, 2010 5:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.