Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

Sleep over with Vilma

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 7 March 2015 | Views [499]

On Thursday March 5, I started my new volunteer job. I took a 25 minute ride on the chicken bus to San Antonio de Aguas Calientes.  ( Not to many curves on this ride so I did not have to hold on for life.) On the way we passed a few Guatemalan towns where you get to see how the majority of Guatemalan lives.  Not always a pretty picture.

 
I met up with Vicky, a wonderful Canadian woman who has dedicated her retirement to work with poor Guatemalan children. She and William, a very nice Guatemalan young man, run an after school program for 15 to 20 kids.  She put me to work immediately and on the fist day i taught my first one hour English class to 11 kids.  I had them all laughing and yelling in English. Got so many hugs at the end of class.  Next week I will take pictures.  
 
There I also met another Canadian volunteer (my age) and she is arranging for us to go to the Pacific Ocean on 3/16.  More to come.  On our return we had the most delicious Tacos. (Shrmp and bacon and cheese on a tortilla yum!)
 
 
I spent the afternoon people watching at the park while I waited for Vilma to arrive from her village. She stayed overnight and we enjoyed each other's company so much. We had manicures, pedicures, drank red wine and ate chocolate. (Vilma is a Guatemalan single mom whose husband died in an accident 8 years ago.  She was 25 then with two young children.  A week after his death she finds out she is pregnant with Emily. Her stories of her struggles to raise the three kids grip your heart. ) 
 
On Saturday morning we had breakfast at Olga's and she met my friends at the home stay. Four of us went for a walk to the Organic farm.   See pictures of the organic farm.  Saturday afternoon she went back home. We made plans to get together again with the kids.  So cute...her kids encouraged her to take me up on my invitation to come to Antigua. Her middle son kept telling to get going ....that she needed to have fun. 
 
I am so blessed to speak Spanish. It gives me the opportunity to connect with locals in such a special way.  
 
In the evening, I had dinner at Olga's (delicious tamales) and then three very nice young (in their 20s) women come over to my room to finish the red wine and chocolate.  So fun. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.