Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

Visiting Vilma and her Family

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 5 March 2015 | Views [456]

Fernan, Emily and Hugito

Fernan, Emily and Hugito

3/2. Visited the Earth Lodge with a couple of American women and a German woman.  We were transported up the mountain in an open truck. We all thought we would get a van but here you get what you get. 

The Earth Lodge is a hotel and restaurant on top of the mountain overlooking two of the volcanoes. Check out the pictures under Earth Lodge.  Guest stay in tree houses and enjoy the solitude of the mountain.  One of the women on the truck her son is the cook at Earth Lodge.   This place started as an Avocado farm So must of the cuisine is based on Avocados. Avocado soup, avocado sanwiches, avocado cheese cake etc. Got my exercise this day since you have to walk part of the way. 

In the evening we had a great crowd at the dinner table at the home stay. About 8 people, from varied countries and all ages. Represented was Greece, Norway, Australia, Belgium, Nebraska, Chicago, Maine, Conn, Guatemala and of course Cuba...Me. People come and go here, some stay for a few days and others for weeks and months. All full of valuable information and so different reasons why they are here. 

3/3.

On Tuesday I left on the chicken bus to visit Vilma and her family.   A little background Vilma is a single Guatemalan mom I met on the street 3 years ago.   At that time, she invited me to visit her family in her village Colonia Vista del Sol.  I met her mom, sister and three kids who live in a small "shack like house, smaller than my Acton living room.  Then we just had a wonderful afternoon. 

For 2 years she called me regularly and then we both got rid of our landlines and we lost touch.  While packing in my travel box, a found her cell number and I called her. She immediately knew who I was and she kept repeating. " yo pense que te habia perdidio"  translated " I thought I lost you" .   Since Tuesday was her first day off we made plans for me to visit her. So I got on the chicken bus, made a transfer and got another chicken bus.  Thsee buses move fast and are packed with Guatemalans. Most tourists avoid them.    They take the curves so fast you have to hold on so tight. Once again I got my exercise for the day..strength training for 40 minutes each way. 

I had a wonderful lunch with Vilma, her mom, and her three kids.   Her mother made me homemade tamales and tortillas. The boys are so sweet and they explained to me how the Guatemalan school syetem was like.  I now know all about red course (Amost failing) and colgados (you failed).  The boys shared how hard it was to do their homeworks in their small village with no internet, computer or printers.  They share their aunt's cell phone with Internet to do their research.  And have to hand write their reports and draw the pictures because they dont have a computer or a printer. Their mom could not  possibly afford internet or a computer.  She is doing her best to come up with money for uniforms and utiles (supplies).  Check out the pictures.  We made plans to get together again.  They all made me feel so welcomed! 

I also met with the new director of the orphanage where I worked three years ago. She was an unfriendly nun that reminded me of my high school days. So I started looking for a new volunteer opportunity. Just got a call..I start tomorrow. Stay tuned more to come. 

3/4 relaxing...manicure..pedicure and blogging.  Oh just got a call I start tomorrow. Stay tuned more to come. 

 

i have added a few pictures and some descriptions. It is so fun to have you along on my trip. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.