Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

My Daily Routine

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 11 March 2015 | Views [997]

Vicky and I at the Art Exhibit

Vicky and I at the Art Exhibit

On Sunday 3/9, I went to breakfast at the Macadamia farm. See the photo gallery for pictures of the Macadamian Farm. Check out the picture of the Volcano Fuego blowing smoke. 

In the afternoon, I went to see the first of many Lenten processions.  The forty days of lent and Holy Week are a big deal here.  There are some pictures of the carpets created on the streets for the procession to pass over..  I am learning more about this and I will take pictures .....As Rachel Maddow says "watch this space!" 
 
I have my routine down now. I have a breakfast (an omelet and fruit (papaya, mango, melons, pineapple and bananas). Have to get to the dinning room by 7:00 or the young women eat all my fruit. There is usually 8 to 10 people getting ready to go to volunteer assigments, school or just hanging out for the day.  A great day to start the day! 
 
I go for my walk and run an errand like going to the bank, take my laundry to have it washed, dried and folded or go to the Bodegon for a liter of Bacardi rum ($6) or wine.  I come back to exercise. Some days I have a manicure, or a pedicure, today I had a massage.  
 
After lunch I take the chicken bus to San Antonio to teach my kids English and help them with their homework.  Check out pictures of the kids on under San Antonio.... I am Having trouble remembering all their names. All the girls have beautiful brown eyes and long brown/black hair and I just get them confused.  We have had four classes together...I am learning what they know and don't know.   I love my before and after class hugs each day.  Some of the kids are afraid to have their pictures taken because they are concerned that they will be sold to the USA.   
 
I usually come back on the chicken bus and have dinner at Olga's. It is great to hear what everyone did all day. Some evenings like last night, we went to a lecture on micro lending. Most evenings we hang around in the wifi garden. It is not the safest to be out at night. The food is delicious and the conversations around the dinner table with people from all over the world is so interesting.  Btw independent travelers are very cool and not boring.   So many great stories and so much traveling advice, So many nomads! 
 
Tonight with my new boss, Vicky, and some other friends, we went to an opening of an art exhibit for Anne Livingston Paddiock at the fancy hotel next door.  We got dressed up hanged out with the Guatemala elite (not very friendly but we loved the free wine). 
 
Tomorrow I leave for Lake Atitlan for three days with Mona. Imagine I had to ask to ask Vicky for two days off already.  
 
Glad to hear from so many of you. 
 
Hugs, 
 
 

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.