Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 15 Montreal

CANADA | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [244]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

 

Day 15 Montreal

Our last day, we started the day late, ever notice the further in to a trip the more tired you become?

To avoid the traffic we got directions to the subway and caught that into the city centre, this pleased Ryan, as up until now he hasn’t had a subway ride in North America. Getting out of the station we found ourselves right near the Montreal Cathedral, another impressive Catholic church. This one however has to be the most impressive so far.

One thing we noticed almost immediately in Montreal was the number of homeless people on the streets, more so than any other city we have come across, it’s very sad. Not sure if this has to do with Montreal’s status as Canada’s second city. Back in the nineteen seventies around the time of the Olympic Games Montreal was the financial centre of Canada, but an anecdote I overheard from a local was that that changed when there was talk of Quebec seceding from the rest of Canada, this sent jitters through the financial community and a lot of them upped sticks and moved to Toronto, this in conjunction with the Olympics left the city with a lot of debt, which I think they are only just coming out from under. Even though Montreal is in French Quebec we noticed English being spoken far more than French. The first thing people say to you when you approach them is “Bonjour Hi” and then they usually lapse into English. This may have a lot to do with the proximity of the city to Ontario and the US border.

After the Cathedral we then jumped on a bus and did a two hour hop on hop off tour of the city, once again a great way of fitting in as much as possible and better than walking as the temperature has started to rise the further West we have gone. Among the highlights was seeing people surf on the St Lawrence River!! Yes there are a small group of rapids that the diehards actually try and surf. Something we didn’t realise at first is that Montreal is actually situated on a 50 kilometre long island in the middle of the St Lawrence river Montreal and even though it isn’t as old as Quebec City it still has a great deal of history associated with it and a large number of historic buildings. It also boasts the second largest French University outside of France. Again on the trip we came across another church, the Oratory of St Joseph and we got off at Mont Calm the mountain/hill in the middle of the city with its great views. Back on the bus we headed back to the subway and the hotel, not before time too, as we had one little girl who was to suffer a bad case of heat stroke later that night , so bad in fact we were on the verge of getting her to hospital. Thankfully she perked up a bit the next day when we left.

Day 15 is where I will leave this trip, because Tash was still not well we didn’t dally on the final day and pushed straight through back to Burlington.

As I sit here now it is Wednesday morning and we are doing our final packing before flying out later today for Colorado and beginning the second phase of the holidays. Be assured there are plenty more adventures and blogs to come.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.