Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 14 Quebec to Montreal

CANADA | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [202]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

 

Day 14 Quebec to Montreal

Day 14 was to be a relaxing drive, straight through from Quebec to Montreal, only a few hours. Thanks to Natasha wanting to make a pit stop however, it turned into a beautiful sightseeing journey.

We left the main highway looking for a bathroom and ended up in the town of Sainte Anne De-La- Perade . Now apart from having a beautiful church, Sainte Anne has another claim to fame. During winter it becomes the Tommy Cod capitol of the world. The Tommy Cod is a small fish around thirty centimetres in length and apparently in winter when the river Sainte Anne sits on the banks of freezes over they are plentiful. So what happens is every year is; when the ice reaches 30 centimetres in depth and is safe to venture out on, people push elaborate huts out on to the ice, cut holes and begin to fish. These ice huts are quite large larger than one s we have seen elsewhere and are well equipped with benches, chairs, tables and wood stoves. Now apart from the size of the huts, this is no different to what happens all over North America in winter. However what makes Sainte Anne special is; that as the ice gets thicker still, vehicles start to drive onto it then restaurants open as well as shops and fairground attractions, with this brings streets and street lights etc. Until eventually a one kilometre stretch of the ice is transformed into a small town. It must make for quite a sight and people come from all over to see it and to fish.

Because Saint Anne sits at the convergence of a river with the St Lawrence Seaway, we then decide to follow the St Lawrence further down to Montreal and stay off the freeway. The next town we came to was Batiscan. This place has its own beach on the river banks and the only sand I’ve found so far that comes anywhere near what we are used to back home. From Batiscan we then went to Trois Riviere, where we had lunch at the Basilica of Notre Dame Du cap, another one of those magnificent structures the Catholic Church commissioned in the 1800’s. I may not be religious but I can certainly appreciate the architecture of the church.

This diversion from our intended course having filled up most of the day, then decided us to get back on the freeway and head direct to Montreal. Whereupon, entering the city we got caught in a traffic jam, this being 1600 on a Friday afternoon. Montreal after Toronto is the second biggest city in Canada and a very cosmopolitan and modern city with lots of traffic, all of it wanting to be somewhere else on a Friday. To make matters worse, Canada is in the grip of a heat wave, so tempers are a bit frayed. To us back home in Australia we would just call it summer, but to Canadians unused to a string of days with the temperature above 30 degrees it is hot. Anyway after being stuck in traffic for a while we finally arrived at our digs for a good night’s rest, ready to explore the town the next day.

 

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.