Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 13 Montmorency Falls and Cirque De Soile

CANADA | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [218]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

Day 13 Montmorency Falls and Cirque De Soile

Day 13; we were supposed to meet the Barnards at 10:30 at the Montmorency Falls, but thanks to our ever reliable GPS (I know, electronics are only as good as the dummies that program them)we ended up not on the outskirts of Quebec but in the city centre. Oh how I hate that machine, it’s bad enough getting told where to go by one woman, but worse with two, especially when they can’t agree. (I’m gonna pay for that last comment) any way we finally made it out to the falls. The falls are at the mouth of the Montmorency River where it meets the St Lawrence and are 30 metres higher than the Niagara Falls and quite spectacular; you also get great view back towards Quebec from the suspension bridge that spans the falls.

Leaving the falls we split up; as Chelle, Laureen and Laureens parents and brother all wanted to go off and visit a nearby Basillica. Mick and I took the four kids to the Quebec aquarium rightly guessing they wouldn’t want to be dragged around another old building. Again the Aquarium was another interesting place as, as would be expected this one focuses on fish and wildlife of the North Atlantic. So we got to see some creatures you wouldn’t normally see in the Pacific Ocean also fish we had recently been served on a plate, have I mentioned how good the seafood is in the Maritimes? The aquarium is also home to three very large walruses, which Tasha enjoyed seeing and promptly declared she wants one as a pet. Looks like we are may have purchase Springwood Aquatic centre. There is also a Polar Bear in residence, but he looked a bit of a sorry figure, just pacing back and forth in his den.

From the Aquarium we headed back into the city to the Barnards hotel, so the kids could jump in the pool until we met up with the others. Chelle and the others came back from their trip having enjoyed the church. If there is one thing Quebec does not lack it’s spectacular churches. Getting ourselves sorted out we then headed back out for dinner and down to one of the Freeway overpasses near the harbour for the highlight of the day, a free performance by Cirque de Soile. We were told not to miss this from some other Aussies that had preceded us through Quebec. Apparently it is a show put on by the Cirque De Soile understudies during the Quebec festival and it is performed in something akin to a work site using shipping containers and scaffolding as the back drop. There are no seats and as you would expect it’s first in best dressed, the best part being is that you are no more than 10-15 metres from the stage and prior to the performance beginning the cast roam through the crowd and interact with the audience, so you get really involved. Having only seen Cirque De Soile on tv before, to be this close was stunning. The show only goes for an hour but it was certainly a lot of fun. All the kids loved it especially the acrobats on the trampolines. If we had stayed in Quebec another night I would have gone back and seen it. By the end of the show it was 11 Pm so we bade farewell to the Barnards, as they were continuing their journey East as we headed back West and made our way back to the hotel.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.