Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 12 Quebec City

CANADA | Tuesday, 19 July 2011 | Views [293]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

Day 12 Quebec City

Quebec City. Despite our trepidation about not being able to speak French and some of the stories we had heard about French Canadians, we loved the city and its people.  They were very friendly and helpful, especially after you mangle the first couple of words. I think the trick is to speak to each other in “Aussstralian mate” before you approach them and they get the idea it’s useless trying to converse in French  Lol.

 

Quebec is a very “Bohemian city” you get all flavours, I don’t think I have seen so many tattoos and pierced body parts in any other city and these are on the areas that can be displayed in public.!!!

Anyway, on the first day we avoided having to drive into an unfamiliar city, so we got the shuttle bus and met our first friendly Québécoise, who kindly put us on the right track and gave us some ideas of things to see in the city. The shuttle travels alongside the St Lawrence River into the city and gives you a good appreciation of how big the river really is.

A couple of facts on the geography and history of the city: Quebec City was founded by Samuel de Champlain in the 1600’s and became a French colony. The older part of the city is divided into two districts; Upper and Lower town, each divided by a large cliff. The cliff and the promontory Upper town sits on is the reason for the city’s location. De Champlain realised that with a cliff forming three sides of the city it could be easily defended, the fourth side facing the Plains of Abraham could be defended by building a wall and extending the wall along the cliff tops, thus making Quebec a walled city. It is in fact the only remaining walled city North of Mexico.  Having both the cliff and a wall, the city was thought to be impregnable.

Getting off the shuttle in Lower town we headed off and began exploring the cobblestone streets, as you would expect these are very narrow and choked with tourists, I am told from people that have been there. It is also very European. The thing that amazed me to see was a large “Hook and Ladder “ fire engine navigating the same streets, not a lot of leeway! To get from Lower to Upper town there are a couple of ways to do it; there is the “Funicular” a kind of cog railway up the cliff, or as the Nightingales chose there is “shanks pony” and the stairs. Once you get to the top of the cliff you are greeted by the Chateau Frontenac Hotel.   Photos of this hotel appear on most tourist brochures for the city and it is easy to see why, it is impressive. Equally impressive is the view from the boardwalk in front of the hotel looking out across the river.  Having got our bearings we found the tourist information centre and promptly booked in for a two hour walking tour of the city. This turned out to be a fantastic way of seeing the many old buildings and learning about the history.

At the finish of the tour we ended up back in Lower town and decided to split up. Quebec like Halifax has a Citadel, so Ryan and I headed off to explore that, while the girls all Citadeled out went to explore the town some more. Some more history, in the 1700’s the ownership of Canadian colonies was being fought over by the English and French. The dastardly British under General James Wolfe lay siege to the city and tried unsuccessfully to take it twice, but on the third attempt they did something that was not thought possible and scaled the cliff to the West and fought and defeated the defenders on the Plains of Abraham and so claimed the city. Now why did I relate this, well Ryan and I did the same thing, only we used the stairs and by the time we reached the top we couldn’t have fought a baby and won!

Being Summer, Quebec like a lot of Canadian cities, are having lots of festivals and concerts and on reaching the Plains of Abraham, Ryan and I came across one. We got to sit and listen to “Metallica” doing a sound check for their big gig, not a bad way to sit and catch your breath. Unfortunately because I took us around the long way and time was getting away from us we didn’t get to tour the Citadel. It is still a working military establishment, so you have be on an organised tours to see it and we didn’t have the time, so instead we walked along the city walls back to the girls.

Late in the afternoon we headed off to the Hilton to meet up with the Barnards who are on their version of our trip, but going in the opposite direction. One of the hotels we stopped at along the way mentioned that they had had a few Aussies go through, funny that; there are a lot of us on the road at the moment!  Dinner was spent with the Barnards and their lovely extended family – Chris, Deb and Bryce; then down to the harbour to watch the history of Quebec screened in 3D on the 100 grain silos that line the dock edge, very impressive. Eleven o’clock and it was time to get the kids to bed so we headed back to the hotel after another long and enjoyable day.

 

 

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.