Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day One to Six Colorado

CANADA | Monday, 1 August 2011 | Views [266]


The USA Road Trip

 

Yes folks were back.... Starting the second part of our summer holidays, the road trip from Colorado down through the US South West and up the West Coast, finishing in San Francisco. This time I’m changing the format and grouping stories based on destination as we’ll be in most places for more than a couple of days. So here goes, destination One Colorado.

Day 1 Arrival in Colorado

Leaving Burlington around midday 20th July we drove down to St Catherines dropped our car off and then got a lift to Buffalo International Airport, much cheaper to fly from and far less hassle. From Buffalo we flew across to Boston and then to Denver, rather a roundabout way of doing things, but there you go. We arrived in at Denver about 1200 local time or for us 2am in the morning. After a few hiccup’s with room allocations we finally fell in to bed around 3am.

Next morning after a late breakfast I headed back to the airport to pick up our chariot for the next few weeks while Chelle took the kids to the pool. Once everything was packed we were on the road to Eagle Colorado, to spend a week with Michelle’s cousin Tanya and her family. The drive through Colorado was everything I thought it would be, high mountain passes, deep valley’s, rugged mountainsides and everything topped by fir trees. Even an hour stuck in roadworks couldn’t spoil the trip. Mid afternoon we finally caught up with Tanya and followed her to the Ranch, where Troy her husband is the Ranch Manager. The Ranch is something to be seen. As with most ranches in this area it is owned by a multimillionaire who spends most of her year living in Hawaii, only visiting the ranch for a couple of months over the summer.  For the remainder of the year Troy has to run and maintain the place, this includes living onsite. The place is beautiful and a great place for their kids Wyatt and Claire to grow up. There are ponds out the back and a river behind, plenty of open paddocks with horses and hiking trails everywhere, not to mention all the fresh air.

The owners of the Ranch are moving back in shortly, so for Troy this is a busy time getting it all ready for them and moving the family back into their own home in Eagle, not to mention trying to entertain visitors from Australia. So after getting a tour of the ranch and a short trip further up the valley we all headed up to their place in Eagle. All I can say is Wow!!! What a view they have.( As I sit here and type this I am looking out across the town of Eagle watching the sunrise above the mountains and it is just stunning, equally stunning has been watching the sun set on those same hills and seeing the colours change). It looks great in Summer I can only imagine how good it must look in Winter.

The rest of our first day was spent getting acclimatised to the altitude, (Eagle sits around 3 kilometres above sea level) and for Chelle and Tanya to catch up, the girls haven’t seen each other in 18 months.

Day 2 Vail

After breakfast Troy headed off to continue getting the Ranch ready for the owners, while Tanya took the rest of the tribe in to Vail/Lionshead. Those of you that are keen skiers will probably have heard of Vail, it being one of the top ski resort towns in the USA. Don’t know what it looks like in winter but it is beautiful in summer, at every turn you are presented with mountain vistas.

During summer the Vail area becomes a mountain bike mecca with all the ski slopes and trails being given over to bike tracks, so as you can imagine there are bikes and cyclists everywhere. Must mention the temperature it is sitting in the low to high thirties, but this doesn’t seem to deter the diehards. Vail isn’t a large town population wise during summer but during winter the population swells fourfold. Most of the places in town are either hotels or rentals. Being the optimistic person I am and with the downturn in the American markets I thought  I’d grab a Real Estate guide and see if I could pick myself up a bargain. Is $USD 5 million considered a bargain???  

After exploring downtown Vail and doing a couple of parks for the kids we then went to the local pool to cool off and relax and there ended our second day.

Day 3 Saturday Fishing and Parshall

Saturday Troy hooked up his boat and he and Tanya took us to Wolford Lake to do some fishing. Once again this drive was stunning, paralleling the Colorado River and passing through some steep canyons. After getting out of the Canyons we got to the town of Kremling so I could pick up a fishing licence. When we asked Troy and Tanya to describe Kremling the first thing they said was Redneck lol. It really knocked the woman in the store for a six when she asked me for a licence and I gave her my NSW one, why do you need to give your height and weight to get a fishing licence??

Not far from Kremling is the reservoir of Wolford Lake, this is a privately owned lake, but it is open for public recreation and is continually stocked with fish. Troy, Wyatt, Ryan and myself headed out for the first run . Sum total of our efforts, Ryan caught two small trout that we let go and lost half a dozen. I only got one shot and lost it, but enjoyed the rest of the time driving the boat while Troy sorted out rods. The girls not to be out done went out and Claire and Natasha each caught a salmon, both of them keepers. Mid afternoon we packed up the boat and headed to a small town called Parshall, where Troy and Tanya own a small ranch with a bit of land. This area is vastly different to what we had seen so far being fairly arid and scrubby country, but again with stunning views. For dinner Saturday night we headed to the Parshall Inn, which looks and feels like it was taken straight off the set of an American Sitcom set in the Midwest. The steak was great and the staff very welcoming.

Day 4 Sunday More fishing

Sunday morning Troy, Ryan, Tash and I headed out early for more fishing with high expectations of having a good day. Unfortunately this didn’t come to fruition and we only managed one caught and one lost, Tash getting the keeper again, much to her brothers’ annoyance. After fishing we headed back to Parshall and spent the afternoon there exploring the property. Then we headed back to Eagle for dinner and an introduction to Elk. Troy keeps a well stocked freezer with Elk he’s bagged through the year, so we had Elk steaks for dinner and much to everyone’s surprise Tash loved them. She now doesn’t know whether she would like to see a live Elk as much as she would like to eat one.

Day 5 Hiking Glenwood Canyon

Monday, Troy had to be at the ranch to bale hay in near 40 degree temperature. So Tanya took the rest of us to a place called Glenwood Canyon and a hike up to Hanging Lake. Despite it being a hard trail for little legs and the temperature creeping up near 40 degrees everyone made it in good shape. I know I’ve over used the word stunning but I can’t think of another word to describe the scenery and the views, especially the lake itself. All up the hike took about three hours including the stop at the top and all the kids made it without assistance. Heading farther West along the interstate we then went to Glenwood Springs and the adventure park at the top of one of the mountains, more amazing vistas and a whole load of rides to keep everyone entertained. Spending the rest of the afternoon there pretty much wore us out so we headed back for dinner and more Elk, to Natasha’s delight.

Day 6 Rafting on the Eagle river

Our last day and another exciting one organised by Troy and Tanya. Troy has his own raft which is capable of taking 5 people comfortably and with the assistance and the raft of his mate Ed we all went rafting on the Eagle River. Chelle and I had had visions of this being a recreational rafting trip but instead it turned out to be a fishing trip. These rafts are well set up, having chairs coolers etc and a floor and a frame at the front for ant one casting to lean against. Troy took the girls while Ryan and I went with Ed, who is a professional fishing guide, so after a couple of short lessons on how to fly cast, Ed rowed us down the river and put me into some good spots to fish. I ended up catching half a dozen brown trout and losing possibly just as many as well as losing a good size rainbow trout. As the Colorado River isn’t stocked any fish caught are re-released. We travelled down the river for 11 miles and fished for about 4 hours. After pulling the rafts back up we then headed back to Eagle for the rest of the day.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.