Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 10 Halifax to Fredericton

CANADA | Wednesday, 13 July 2011 | Views [304] | Comments [1]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

 

Day Ten Halifax to Fredericton

I’d like to start this blog off with an apology, to both our sets of parents. Sorry for those long road trips you had to endure with kids. To all you other parents who have done the same, we know your pain. Our time has now come, there have been places along the way we could have quite happily dropped off the kids Lol. Having said that the kids have been very resilient considering the amount of time they are forced to spend in the car, we have found that having a pool at the hotel is a godsend.

Now back to the trip today was another road trip. First off we headed South of Halifax to a place called Peggy’s Cove a fishing village on the coast, its lighthouse is the most photographed in all of Canada. The village gives a real feel of how hard and cold it must be living along the Atlantic seaboard, granite rocks, high seas and winds. Because of its closeness to Halifax and how picturesque it is Peggy’s Cove is now a major tourist destination. On a more sombre note it was only a few miles off shore that a Swissair Flight came down in the sea on a flight from Europe with the loss of 229 people, a memorial is situated a little way down the coast.

Leaving Peggy’s cove we head back across Nova Scotia to New Brunswick. For those friends I grew up with, I would have liked to have sent you a photo from Bridgewater, but it was a bit too far South and the same for those in Sydney (that’s Sydney with a “Y” they do know how to spell) it was too far North. The drive today was some 400Km’s and during this time we passed over the Tropic of Cancer, the halfway mark between the Equator and the North Pole.

Not much to see in Fredericton just an overnight stay, at least it’s got a pool. Tomorrow Quebec City, the heart of French speaking Canada and no I didn’t keep up my French lessons so I can’t understand word.

Comments

1

Better refer to your teacher wife about the Tropic of Cancer as it is not half way between the Equator and the North Pole. It's around 23deg 26min (but that varies over time) and equates to the degree of tilt of Earth's axis. Polar circles roughly being 66deg 34min. So if you said that the Tropic of Cancer was around a quarter way to the North Pole you would be correct.

  Mark Smith Jul 15, 2011 4:30 PM

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.