Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Day 9 Halifax 10th July 2011

CANADA | Wednesday, 13 July 2011 | Views [202]


The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

 

Day Nine Halifax July 10th

After the heavy rain the day before, Day nine started out windy and cold but became a beautiful day with clear blue skies. Again we jumped on the ferry and went across the harbour. This time we headed up the hill that dominates the Halifax skyline; Citadel Hill. As the name says the hill is the site of the Citadel, part of a defence network set up by the British in the 1700’s to defend the harbour from the French. These defences served through the Seven Years War, the War of 1812 and two World Wars before being abandoned in the 1950’s it was then resurrected later in the century by the National Parks Service as a historic site.

The forts have never been attacked and are thought to be impregnable, any likely attackers having only six weeks to breach the walls before reinforcements arrived, a feat not thought possible by scholars. To explain the history of the Citadel and its occupants, there are now guides dressed in the uniforms of the 78th Highlanders roaming around site and during our visit we were able to witness the firing of the noon day gun, a rifle demonstration and Ryan got to put on a skirt.

Leaving the Citadel we then made our way back down to the harbour and boarded a Harbour Hopper.  These are a couple of ex-military amphibious vehicles that take tourists on a tour of downtown Halifax before then heading into the harbour and letting people see the city from the water. The kids loved the tour as our guide was very bubbly and they managed to get wet when we hit the water. One thing learned there is only one natural harbour in the world that is ice free all year around that is bigger than Halifax. I’ll let you guess which one. After our city tour we split up and Chelle and the kids headed back to the hotel for a swim, while I stayed on the Halifax side and headed back to the Citadel to finish off what I hadn’t seen earlier,  it’s a bloody hard slog up the hill, so after seeing all I wanted to see I needed a beer, lucky for me there was a pub in town that has 60 different beers on tap,; heaven. One beer down and back to the boardwalk and a last walk around and the n back across the harbour to meet the others.

The beers over here are great, but the one thing Chelle and I had been looking forward too, before hitting the Maritimes was the seafood and I have to say it certainly hasn’t disappointed, especially the seafood chowder, it is magnifique.

Well our last day in the Atlantic Provinces is over tomorrow we head back inland to Fredericton the capital of New Brunswick.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.