Existing Member?

BnBcruisingthemed Been looking forward to this trip since 2020.

Tramping through Hooker Valley

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 15 November 2017 | Views [455]

OK, that title needs a little explanation.  Let's look at the NZ dictionary for an explanation of terms:

Give Way means Yield

Slippery when frosty means Slippery when icy

A Slip mean a slide (like a mudslide)

A lift is an elevator

Lovely means something is nice

Brilliant means you like something or someones idea!

Tramping means hiking

A track is a path or trail

1 kilometer equals approximately 6/10 of a mile

So, on Monday morning, we awoke to a lovely snowfall.  It only lasted about 30 minutes and melted at our level quickly but left a fresh dusting of snow on the mountains!  Lovely!  Mpunt Cook was still not visible to us at our vantage point due to the snow, wind and fog.  Of course, Dan and Kathy decided they would hike in to see if they could get a better look.  So, not to be out done, Bill and Bonnie also decided to investigate.  This particular track goes through the valley floor between the mountains named Hooker Valley.  So, we tramped through Hooker Valley!

Get it?  Got it?  Good!!

 Our friends are the hikers.  We are the walkers.  This particular track is over varied terrain with 3 foot bridges spanning several spots over a river.  We did not make it to the end, however, we did manage to make it to the second bridge and walked approximately 4 miles round trip!  Not bad for a couple of senior couch potatoes!

Very exhilarating as the temp was only about 40 degrees and the track took us along a river and the valley was a bit of a wind tunnel.  We enjoyed beautiful views along the way, but my foot was telling me it was time to turn back.  

Thanks to Dan and Kathy for the encouragement to tramp!  NZ is a beautiful country and sometimes hiking is the best way to see it!  Congrats to them as they did make the entire hike and captured some photos of Mt. Cook.  Glaciers hide up in these higher elevations, it is truly amazing.

Next adventure awaits, we are off to Twizel.  A small town about an hours drive from the park!

We have enjoyed a myriad of accommodations on this trip.  Just to round things out, we will spend the night in a farmhouse that is over 100 years old.  This land used to be a sheep farm but now raises cattle.  Like many in NZ, they are finding that cattle are less work and more profitable.  Anyway, a descendent of the original owners still lives on the land and manages the farm, but in addition has built and manages cottages for travelers.  We stayed in the original 3 bedroom 1 bath farm house.  Rustic with a few modern conveniences, it was lovely!

We went to a restaurant in town and had the best rack of lamb for dinner that we had on the trip!  So, if you're ever in Twizel be sure and stop by Shawty's!!

Home to bed under a "dark sky" with beautiful stars.  Off tomorrow for a long drive to Te Anau.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.