Existing Member?

Me Love You Loooong Time!!!

Railey to Bangkok

THAILAND | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [546]

Ponchos can be useful here if you need to keep your bag dry, but most people just get wet, because it's warm and wet. Saw a poncho out yesterday from a well-prepared German couple in their 50's. They've been backpacking every year since they've been married, having both got the bug in their 20's. Everyone was crammed into a longtail boat going from Railey to Ao Nang (about 30 minutes) to get the coach to Bangkok. It started raining hard and I managed to steal a piece of poncho to keep my little rucksack dry (my big one was luckily at the bottom of a huge pile at the front of the boat). We were chugging along nicely, although slightly apprehensive after a guy got on and said that he'd seen a longtail capsize the other day.

And then the engine broke down. It was a bit wavy and the german woman next to me got a bit nervous. I assured her that the waves weren't big enough to capsize us and since the wind was blowing us towards our destination, at least we'd get there eventually. She seemed to settle down after that, or maybe it was just her stoic german resolve. Underneath my calm exterior however, I was slightly apprehensive, not for my safety, because the water was warm and we were close to beaches, but I really didn't fancy having to deal with swimming around retrieving my rucksack.

After 15 minutes of everyone being deliberately calm and patient, the driver got it started again and all was well. After a couple of entertaining minibus transfers we eventually got on a rather nice big coach for the final leg of the journey to Bangkok. What feels like a long time ago (but only 2 weeks ago) I got a coach from Bangkok to go south. Having been shown a very old photograph in the travel agents of an absolutely awesome-looking coach (the V.I.P. coach it was called), we were disappointed to find our coach looking nothing like the photograph (this is not unusual in Thailand I now know). Yesterday, however, I ended up on the coach that looked just like that coach in the photograph. Two-tiered and you could put the seats all the way back and actually get some sleep.

Getting shouted at by Thais, "GO NOW BANGKOK! LAST STOP! BANGKOK! YOU COME NOW!" at 5.30 in the morning straight from sleep with your eye-mask on and ear-plugs in, is not the best way to start your day. Plus, the taxi-touts were one step away from being actually ON the coach, looking up the stairs at us, "WHERE YOU GO? WHERE YOU GO? TAXI." I'm usually very good at just blocking them out of my mind but at this hour my patience was hanging by a thread. Me, the random dutch physio and the german couple decided that we will share a taxi to Kho San road, to save money. However, as soon as we stepped off the bus I was almost certain that we were only 5 or 10 minutes walk from Kho San road. A taxi fare for that distance should only be 30 baht (60p) I explained to everyone else (they hadn't been to Ko San road before). Typically, the taxi drivers were aware that alot of people have no idea that they are only around the corner from their destination. If you engage these people to ask for directions, the conversation typically goes, "where is Ko San Road?".
"Ok Ko San road, 200 baht" (four quid),
"No. Where is it?"
"Ko San Road?"
"Yes"
"200 baht".

I don't know exactly why, but I've never got into these conversations, but I've seen plenty of other people do. Maybe I've been to enough countries before, or maybe it's because I just know that, if someone is just trying to get as much money out of you as possible, it's best to just not engage with them in the first place.

I told him 30 baht but he was still wanting 50 baht EACH for the taxi-ride. I still strongly suspected we were only about 200 metres from Ko San road and, at least, I always like to use the strategy of walking away from the mob of touts waiting for you and flag down a random taxi 100 yards away. The German man was not feeling too well so they got in the taxi anyway and me and the random dutch guy started walking.

We walked straight there in about 5 minutes and when we got there the german couple got out of their taxi, having done a short loop of the area. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't help but feel a vague sense of smugness.

Now I'm back where I started only 2 and a half weeks ago but it feels like easily a month. I was sad to see Marcel and Clare go (they're going to Malaysia and then India) - I've had a fantastic time with them and I consider them to be two new friends. Now I'm tired in Bangkok - not a place to linger. But having been through this process before, I'm not suffering from the same apprehension I was when I first arrived because I'm confident that wherever I go in Thailand, I'll always be meeting people, or 'catching another wave' ;-)

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.